Vapour pressure and volatility.

In summary, the factors that affect the vapour pressure of a liquid are surface area, volume, attractive intermolecular forces, temperature, and density of the liquid. Some factors, such as surface area and volume, have no significant effect on vapour pressure, while others, such as temperature and density, can have a direct impact. When comparing substances in terms of volatility, it can be difficult to make comparisons when considering intermolecular forces, especially for polar molecules, as it requires knowledge of both dispersion forces and dipole-dipole forces.
Referos

Homework Statement

(I)Explain how each of the following factors affect the vapour pressure of a liquid: (a)surface area, (b)volume, (c)attractive intermolecular forces, (d)temperature, (e)density of liquid.

(II)Order the following substances in terms of volatility: CH4, CBr4, CH2Cl2, CH3Cl, CHBr3, CH2Br2.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

(I)

(a)I guess that if the surface area increases, the rate of molecules that pass from liquid to vapour increases, but so does the rate of molecules from vapour to liquid, so it has no effect?

(b)Well, the liquid's volume can increase by either having a greater surface area or a greater height/depth. Surface area doesn't affect vapour pressure, so that's out. And increasing the liquid's depth doesn't increase the number of molecules close to the surface that can escape, so, again, no effect on vapour pressure?

(c) and (d) are kinda obvious, so I'm skipping these

(e)No idea here. I suppose that with higher density, the mass of each individual molecule is greater and so (assuming constant temperature) their momentum is higher. So the impulse the liquid's surface molecules exert on the vapour is higher, so we get a higher average force and thus higher pressure. But the exact same thing can be said regarding the vapour molecules, so, once again, there's no net effect on the vapour-liquid equilibrium, and the vapour pressure must remain unchanged, I guess.

(II)
Also no idea here. I know that volatility decreases with intermolecular forces. If all these were apolar molecules, then the only intermolecular forces would be the dispersion forces. Since this increases with polarizability which increases with molecular weight, I could compare their intermolecular forces only with their molecular formulae. But some of these are polar molecules, and there's no way I can compare the relative effects of the dispersion forces and the dipole-dipole forces. So I cry :( .

Physics news on Phys.org
(I) seems to be right to me, even if your analysis of e is not completely correct, higher density doesn't mean mass of molecules is greater.

(II) after some googling looks to me like dipole interactions can be ignored, but I agree with you that question requires making comparisons that are not obvious.

1. What is vapour pressure and how is it measured?

Vapour pressure is the pressure exerted by the gaseous phase of a substance in equilibrium with its liquid or solid phase at a given temperature. It is measured using a device called a barometer, which measures the pressure of the gas above the liquid or solid substance.

2. How does vapour pressure affect evaporation and boiling point?

Vapour pressure directly affects the rate of evaporation and the boiling point of a substance. As the vapour pressure increases, more molecules escape from the liquid or solid phase into the gas phase, leading to faster evaporation. Additionally, when the vapour pressure equals the external pressure, the substance will reach its boiling point and turn into a gas.

3. What factors affect the vapour pressure of a substance?

The vapour pressure of a substance is affected by temperature, intermolecular forces, and the surface area of the substance. Higher temperatures and weaker intermolecular forces lead to higher vapour pressure, while a larger surface area can increase the rate of evaporation and therefore the vapour pressure.

4. What is the relationship between vapour pressure and volatility?

Volatility is the tendency of a substance to vaporize and become a gas. Vapour pressure is a measure of this tendency, so substances with higher vapour pressure are considered more volatile. However, other factors such as boiling point and intermolecular forces also play a role in determining volatility.

5. How does vapour pressure relate to atmospheric pressure?

Vapour pressure is directly related to atmospheric pressure, as the pressure of a gas above a substance must be equal to the external pressure. When atmospheric pressure decreases, such as at higher altitudes, the vapour pressure of a substance will also decrease, leading to faster evaporation and lower boiling points.