Looking for shoes with high friction coefficients

In summary, you might contact DC Shoes to see if they have more helpful information about shoes with high coefficients of static friction.
issacnewton
Hi

Few months ago, I had written to PUMA, ADIDAS, NIKE etc. for the shoes with high coefficients
of static friction, so that I can make more informed decision when I go to these shops next time. None of them replied. I know that, these big companies do a lot of research on the shoes. They must be having such data. Where can I find it ? They should at least be marketing such data since that will give customers better idea and its good for their business.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
IssacNewton: Because those companies were not helpful yet, you might try to contact DC Shoes, to see if they are more helpful. You could try their customer service toll-free telephone number (click on, e.g., store locator, then customer service, at the bottom of the page), and ask to speak to engineering, regarding a technical question. Or ask to speak to the owner, Ken Block. Let us know what you find.

Hi, nvn I will write them email. I am in India. PUMA, ADIDAS, NIKE are present here. It seems DC Shoes is more engineering friendly.

I am not surprised that this information is not readily available. There are so many more parameters at work here than just the "coefficient of friction" you want. Friction involves Two Surfaces and only one of them is the sole of the shoe. One sole material may behave better than that on another shoe for one surface and worse for another surface. How wet is your running surface likely to be? What temperature will the shoe be operated at?

Motor racing tyres are chosen by a particular team and may well be different from the choice for the other competing cars. If there were a 'best' then everyone would use the same one. There is no answer, I fear. I have a humble pair of sailing boots with three different areas on the sole, reputedly to deal with variations of deck surface. It could all be b/s (and that is very slippery!).

sophie, probably you are right. but generally speaking on a dry tar/cement roads like in India, they should have some data...

So would they have data, also, for wet slippery running tracks in England and cold roads in Scandinavia or Canada? Some people don't ever use shoes under the conditions you get in India.
You may have found a niche market for this data. You could buy a range of shoes and do your own measurements . . . . .

In addition to what sophie has said, you also would need to specify the pressure distribution. ie the c.o.f. would be different when comparing people who walk on the outside of their feet to those who are flat or walking on the inside. http://www.drvseshiah.org/images/Foot%20Pic%202.gif" [Broken]
Now, that picture is just when someone is standing. When you run the distribution will vary based on a persons gait. Is the person turning? If so, then the line of action on the shoe will be different (changing the orientation of the shoes treads acting upon the road).

There's so many different things to take into consideration, I doubt that using a "default" c.o.f will be of much use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on Earth would you want to do this anyway?

You aren't realistically going to notice the grip difference between one shoe and another under normal wearing conditions, the amount of grip they generate is likely to be roughly the same anyway.

Just buy what's comfy to wear...

Also from a marketing point of view, the vast majority of poeple in the world probably don't care about the grip their trainers generate. They care about price, comfort and style.

After taking note of many opinions here, I think its not realistic to expect the shoe companies to publish such data since it depends on so many factors. Thanks ..

1. What is a high friction coefficient and why is it important for shoes?

A friction coefficient is a measure of the force needed to move one surface over another, and a high friction coefficient means that there is a greater resistance to movement. In terms of shoes, a high friction coefficient is important for providing traction and grip, which can help prevent slips and falls.

2. How can I determine the friction coefficient of a shoe?

There are various methods for measuring the friction coefficient of a shoe, including using specialized equipment like a tribometer or performing a slip resistance test. However, the most common way to determine the friction coefficient of a shoe is through personal experience and observation of how well the shoe grips different surfaces.

3. What types of shoes typically have high friction coefficients?

Shoes with rubber or textured soles are often associated with higher friction coefficients because the material and design provide better grip. Additionally, shoes designed specifically for activities such as hiking, rock climbing, or sports that require quick movements and changes in direction tend to have higher friction coefficients.

4. Are there any downsides to shoes with high friction coefficients?

While high friction coefficients can be beneficial for certain activities and environments, they may also increase the risk of injury. For example, shoes with high friction coefficients may be more likely to cause tripping or falling on smooth surfaces. It is important to consider the intended use and environment when selecting shoes with high friction coefficients.

5. Can the friction coefficient of a shoe change over time?

Yes, the friction coefficient of a shoe can change over time depending on factors such as wear and tear, exposure to certain substances (e.g. water, oil), and the type of surface it is used on. It is important to regularly check and maintain the condition of your shoes to ensure they maintain a high friction coefficient and provide optimal grip.