Improving Efficiency: Marking Subscribed Threads for Further Attention

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter A. Neumaier
  • Start date
In summary, it would be nice to be able to mark threads as needing more attention, either by subscription or flagging.
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
It would be nice if it were possible to mark the items in the list of subscribed threads by an indication whether a thread needs further attention though all its messages had been read already (which is indicated by losing the boldface font).

This would save the time to reload threads simply to figure out whether they are already adequately addressed or whether they still merit a response.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you could do is to subscribe to such a thread, and place it in a special subscription folder (that you create) called "needs attention" or something along those lines.

It takes a few clicks to do this, but I think it would accomplish what you are proposing.

Redbelly98 said:
One thing you could do is to subscribe to such a thread, and place it in a special subscription folder (that you create) called "needs attention" or something along those lines.

Great solution redbelly!

This would save the time to reload threads simply to figure out whether they are already adequately addressed or whether they still merit a response.

It's worth pointing out that no forum software can decide whether or not you believe a thread deserves more attention by you.

fss said:
It's worth pointing out that no forum software can decide whether or not you believe a thread deserves more attention by you.
Of course it can decide, based on my prior annotation. But Redbelly's solution is indeed reasonable to use with the present system.

fss said:

I'm not sure whether or not you can mark a thread unread, that could work, but regardless it probably wouldn't do much to help me. My subscriptions decide whether or not they feel I've read them, not my actions of actually reading them. Every now and then they'll show up as unread even though nothing new has happened (and I've had no email to confirm no new posts) or I'll be the last person to post.

That aside, I think it would be nice if there was a button that let you flag a thread - turn it red or whatever colour you want - just as a reminder.

What is the purpose of marking subscribed threads?

The purpose of marking subscribed threads is to easily keep track of threads that you have subscribed to on a forum or discussion board. By marking a thread as subscribed, you will receive notifications when there are new posts or updates on that thread.

How do I mark a thread as subscribed?

To mark a thread as subscribed, you will typically see an option or button that says "subscribe" or "mark as subscribed" on the thread page. Clicking on this option will mark the thread as subscribed and you will start receiving notifications.

Can I unsubscribe from a thread?

Yes, you can unsubscribe from a thread at any time. To do so, simply go to the thread page and look for the option or button that says "unsubscribe" or "mark as unsubscribed". Clicking on this option will remove the thread from your list of subscribed threads and you will no longer receive notifications.

What happens when I mark a thread as subscribed?

When you mark a thread as subscribed, the forum or discussion board will keep track of that thread and send you notifications when there are new posts or updates. This allows you to easily stay updated on discussions that you are interested in.

Why am I not receiving notifications for subscribed threads?

If you are not receiving notifications for subscribed threads, it could be due to a number of reasons. Make sure that you have enabled notifications for the forum or discussion board in your account settings. It is also possible that there are no new posts or updates on the subscribed thread, or that the thread has been deleted or moved.