Apply a force so it won't move?

In summary, two boxes of masses 4.5 kg and 26.0 kg are connected by a string and a fixed pulley, with a coefficient of static friction between them. The maximum force that can be exerted on the lower box without causing the boxes to slide can be found by setting the sum of forces equal to 0 and using the equation F - T - Fs = 0. The weight of the second box is negligible in this calculation.
mistabry

Homework Statement

A box of mass m = 4.5 kg rests on a larger box of mass M = 26.0 kg, which is at rest on a frictionless surface. The coefficient of static friction between the two boxes is μs = 0.51. An ideal string runs between the two boxes around a fixed pulley. What is the maximum force F that can be exerted on the lower box without causing the boxes to slide?

Homework Equations

fs=μ*|N|

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew 2 free body diagrams. For first mass, I had Tension point left, Force point right, Normal force up, W down. For second mass, I had Tension point left, Friction point right, Normal force up, W down.

I would think since the surface was frictionless, T = F = fs, but that didn't work out so well D;

Physics news on Phys.org
In your free body diagram of the bottom block, you left out a force. Which one??

Is there like another tension added to the bottom block going right? o_O

Well, a pulling force F acts right, and you already identified it. Look for a contact force at the top of that lower block that acts horizontally. Think about Newton's third law.

hey mistabry i got the answer here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=443079

it's not the exact same problem, but it's similar.
basically use F - T - Fs = 0. because the sum of the forces need to equal 0 since its not moving.
T = Fs, so just find Force.

The weight of the second box is neglible, because the floor is frictionless.

Thanks PhantomJay for helping the other guy in the thread i linked lol.

What is force?

Force is a physical interaction that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It can be exerted through pushing, pulling, or any other type of contact.

Why do we need to apply a force to keep an object from moving?

Objects have a property called inertia, which means they will continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, a force must be applied to counteract the object's inertia and keep it from moving.

How is force applied to an object?

Force is typically applied through direct contact with an object. This can be done by pushing, pulling, or pressing against the object. Force can also be applied indirectly through mechanisms such as levers, pulleys, or machines.

What factors affect the amount of force needed to keep an object from moving?

The amount of force needed to keep an object from moving depends on the object's mass and the surface it is resting on. Heavier objects require more force to keep them from moving, while objects on rough surfaces require less force than those on smooth surfaces.

Is there a limit to how much force can be applied to an object?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of force that can be applied to an object. This limit is determined by the object's strength and the materials it is made of. Applying too much force can cause the object to break or deform.