Topology intervals on the real line proof

In summary: Sure it does, but you have to spell all that out in a proof. There's also the possibility that I may not have a smallest or largest element which means you should include the possibility of infinite intervals.
hlin818

Homework Statement

a) Let I be a subset of the real line. Prove I is an interval if and only if it contains each point between any two of its points.

b) Let Ia be a collection of intervals on the real line such that the intersection of the collection is nonempty. Show the union of the collection is an interval.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) An interval is the set (a,b), [a,b], or [a,b). Let I be one of these sets. we want to show that if x and z are in I and x<y<z, then y is in I. Isn't this trivial by how interval is defined?

b) not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if I is an interval then the proof of the property is trivial. But you want to show 'iff'. Now you want to show that the betweeness property of I implies I is an interval.

Ah forgot about the other direction. Let some subset of R be I such that I contains each point between any two of its points. Thus if x,z are in I and x<y<z, then y is in I. Let x,z be the endpoints of I. Thus by the betweenness property any y such that x<y<z implies y is in I. So I is an interval.

b)

Last edited:
hlin818 said:
Ah forgot about the other direction. Let some subset of R be I such that I contains each point between any two of its points. Thus if x,z are in I and x<y<z, then y is in I. Let x,z be the endpoints of I. Thus by the betweenness property any y such that x<y<z implies y is in I. So I is an interval.

b)

I is just a set until you show it's an interval. How do you define endpoints of a set?

Dick said:
I is just a set until you show it's an interval. How do you define endpoints of a set?

I suppose by z as the right endpoint if z is greater than or equal to all y in I and likewise for x. So if we define x to be the smallest element in I and z to be the largest, by the betweenness property we have that I contains every point in between x and z, i.e. for any x<y<z, y is in I. Doesnt that mean I is an interval?

Last edited:
hlin818 said:
I suppose by z as the right endpoint if z is greater than or equal to all y in I and likewise for x. So if we define x to be the smallest element in I and z to be the largest, by the betweenness property we have that I contains every point in between x and z, i.e. for any x<y<z, y is in I. Doesnt that mean I is an interval?

Sure it does, but you have to spell all that out in a proof. There's also the possibility that I may not have a smallest or largest element which means you should include the possibility of infinite intervals. I'm not saying the proof isn't easy. You just have to be more explicit about the argument.

1. What is the definition of a topology interval on the real line?

A topology interval on the real line is a set of real numbers that includes all the numbers between two given numbers. It can be represented as (a, b), where a and b are the endpoints of the interval.

2. How is a topology interval different from a closed interval?

A topology interval is an open interval, meaning that it does not include its endpoints. In contrast, a closed interval includes its endpoints, and can be represented as [a, b].

3. What is the proof that a topology interval is open?

The proof is based on the definition of a topology, which states that a set is open if it can be written as a union of open sets. Since a topology interval is defined as an open set, it can be written as the union of smaller open sets, therefore proving its openness.

4. Can a topology interval on the real line be unbounded?

Yes, a topology interval can be unbounded, meaning that it extends infinitely in one or both directions. For example, the interval (0, +∞) is unbounded as it includes all real numbers greater than 0.

5. How are topology intervals used in mathematical analysis?

Topology intervals are used in mathematical analysis to describe and analyze the behavior of functions over a given interval. They are also used to prove the continuity and differentiability of functions, as well as to define the concept of limits and derivatives.