Whose intellectual property is C++?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, Bjarne Stroustrup is the inventor of C++ and was working at Bell Labs at the time, so they may own it. However, C++ is now an international standard and is royalty-free. The ISO holds the copyright for the C++ standard and compiler vendors do not pay royalties for its use. The claim that SCO owns C++ is false, as Bjarne Stroustrup did not patent or trademark anything related to it. He also believes that Windows should be thrown into the "garbage collector of history."
PainterGuy
Hello everyone, :smile:

The creator of C++ is Bjarne Stroustrup. It is his invention. Who really owns C++? Is it its inventor? It should be its inventor because he invented it so he should make money out of it like Microsoft does out of its Windows. Tell me please. Many thanks for every help! :wink:

Cheers

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure. Bjarne Stroustrup was working at Bell Labs at the time, so I suppose they would own it, but given that it is essentially an international standard at the least it is royalty-free.

I suppose I could always ask him...

Bjarne Stroustrup said:
Do you own C++?
No. If anyone "owns C++," it must be the ISO. AT&T gave the rights to the C++ manual that I wrote to the ISO. The ISO C++ Standard is copyrighted by ISO.

Compiler vendors do not pay royalties to me or to AT&T for C++, and ISO standards are specifications intended for royalty-free use by everyone (once they have paid the ISO or a national standard committee for their copy of the standard). The individual compilers are owned by their respective vendors/suppliers.

"But someone from SCO claimed that they own C++"; is that not so? It's complete rubbish. I saw that interview. The SCO guy clearly had no clue what C++ was, referring to it as "the C++ languages". At most, SCO may own a 15-year old and seriously outdated version of Cfront - my original C++ compiler. I was careful not to patent or trademark anything to do with C++. That's one reason we write plain "C++" and not "C++(tm)". The C++ standard is unencumbered of patents - the committee carefully checked that also.
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#revenues

PainterGuy said:
...like Microsoft does out its Windows.

Windows should be thrown into the garbage collector of history.

Last edited:

1. What is C++ and why is it important?

C++ is a high-level programming language that was developed by Bjarne Stroustrup in 1983. It is an extension of the C programming language and is widely used in software development for its versatility and efficiency.

2. Who owns the intellectual property rights to C++?

The intellectual property rights to C++ are owned by the ISO (International Organization for Standardization) and the ANSI (American National Standards Institute). However, Bjarne Stroustrup holds the copyright to the original C++ source code.

3. Can I use C++ for commercial purposes without infringing on anyone's intellectual property rights?

Yes, you can use C++ for commercial purposes without infringing on anyone's intellectual property rights as long as you comply with the C++ licensing terms and conditions set by ISO and ANSI.

4. Are there any restrictions on using C++ for open-source projects?

No, there are no restrictions on using C++ for open-source projects as long as you comply with the licensing terms and conditions set by ISO and ANSI.

5. Can I modify the C++ source code to suit my needs?

Yes, you can modify the C++ source code to suit your needs as long as you comply with the licensing terms and conditions set by ISO and ANSI and give proper attribution to the original creators.