Kinetic Energy Lost in Bullet Penetrating Can

• Thread starter Mivz18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary, the conversation discusses the momentum and kinetic energy of a bullet and a pop can during a collision. The initial momentum of the system is 5.6 kg m/s and the final momentum of the bullet is 3.6 kg m/s. The speed of the can after the collision is 32.73 m/s. To calculate the amount of kinetic energy lost in the process, the formula KE_f=KE_0+\Delta E is used, resulting in a loss of 420.54 joules. However, the exact method of calculation is still unclear.
Mivz18
Problem:

A bullet of mass 0.018 kg and initial speed 300 m/s penetrates an initially stationary pop can of mass 0.055 kg and emerges with a speed 200 m/s.

A) What is the initial momentum of the bullet and pop can system?
I found this answer by 0.018 * 300 = 5.6

B) What is the final momentum of the bullet?
I found this answer by 0.018 * 200 = 3.6

C) How fast is the can moving after the bullet emerges?
I found this answer by 0.018(300-200) and then took that quantity and divided it by 0.055 = 32.73 m/s

D) How much kinetic energy was lost (to heat, sound, deformation of can and bullet,...) in the process? Give your answer as a positive number.

Here is my problem. I don't know how to obtain this. I thought that maybe I could calculate it by KE1 + KE2 = KE1 + KE2 where the left side of the equation is before the collision and the right side is after. Then when I add the right side, it is a little off from the left, so I thought that was the KE lost. However, the online program I'm using says it isn't. What am I doing wrong or how can I go about achieving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the right idea. Perhaps you missed something setting up your equation - can you show it with numerical values filled in?

This is what I got:

(1/2)m1v1 + (1/2)m2v2 = (1/2)m1v1 + (1/2)m2v2
(1/2)(0.018)(300^2) + (1/2)(0.055)(0^2) = (1/2)(0.018)(200^2) + (1/2)(0.055)(32.73^2)

From this I get 810 = 389.46
where 810 - 389.46 = 420.54 Lost ??

nevermind, answered my own question, lol. Thanks!

Yeah, you might want to set up the equation like this:
[tex]KE_f=KE_0+\Delta E[/tex]
So that you end up solving for an unknown rather than setting up a broken equality.

1. How can a bullet penetrate a can?

A bullet is able to penetrate a can because of its high velocity and force. When the bullet makes contact with the can, it creates a small hole and then continues to push through due to its momentum, ultimately creating a larger hole or completely passing through the can.

2. Can any type of bullet penetrate a can?

Yes, any type of bullet can potentially penetrate a can depending on its velocity and the material of the can. However, certain types of bullets such as armor piercing rounds are specifically designed to penetrate hard surfaces, making them more likely to penetrate a can compared to other types of bullets.

3. What factors affect a bullet's ability to penetrate a can?

The main factors that affect a bullet's ability to penetrate a can include its velocity, mass, and shape. A bullet with higher velocity and mass will have more force and momentum to penetrate the can. Additionally, a pointed or tapered bullet is more likely to penetrate compared to a round or blunt bullet.

4. Can a bullet penetrate multiple cans stacked on top of each other?

Yes, a bullet can potentially penetrate multiple cans stacked on top of each other depending on the strength and thickness of the cans. However, each additional can reduces the bullet's velocity and energy, making it less likely to penetrate the stack.

5. Is it dangerous to shoot a bullet into a can?

It can be dangerous to shoot a bullet into a can, especially if the can is made of a strong material such as metal. The bullet can ricochet or fragment, potentially causing harm to the shooter or others nearby. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions when handling firearms.