Tough problem (for me at least )

• Thread starter benji
  • Start date
In summary, the skier is going 10.9 m/s when she leaves the cliff. Her vertical speed at impact is 12.4 m/s.
benji
Alright, so here's the problem:

An extreme skier, starting from rest, coasts down a mountain that makes an angle of 25.0-degrees with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between her skis and the snow is 0.200. She coasts for a distance of 10.4 m before coming to the edge of a cliff. Without slowing down, she skis off the cliff and lands downhill at a point whose vertical distance is 3.50 m below the edge. How fast is she going just before she lands?

So I didn't want to explain everything I tried, so I just scanned my paper ;). Here it is:

http://img129.exs.cx/img129/6093/physics_problem.gif

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? The correct answer is supposed to be 10.9 m/s...

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use forces, use energy

the velocity whe the skier leaves the cliff is...
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = mgh[/tex] while h = 10.4m sin 25
v = sqrt(2g(10.4 sin 25)) = 9.29 m/s

the skiers velocity is 25 degrees below the horizontal, thus
[tex]v_x = v cos 25 \ v_y = v sin 25 [/tex]
thus solve for the time to fall the height 3.5 m
[tex] 0m = 3.5 m - v sin 25 t - 1/2 g t^2[/tex]
t= 0.53s

and when the skier makes impact the velocity is
[tex]v_y = v sin 25 + 9.8 (0.53 s)[/tex]
[tex]v_x = v cos 25[/tex]
so the total velocity at impact is..
[tex] v = sqrt( (v_x)^2+(v_y)^2) = 12.4128 m/s[/tex]

so i believe your answers wrong doing this is also very complicated but i thought would make u believe the answer more cause I use projectiles, gravity is a conservative force so therefore it doesn't matter what path the skier takes to drop the height u can find the velocity by 1/2mv^2 = mgh
where h is (10.4m sin 25 + 3.5m) the total height from the ground. you'll get the same result.

edit: i forgot the coff of friction, however use work engery principle in the same way i did this problem that might help

Last edited:
Your sum of all x component forces :
[tex]F_{g}sin25-F_{fricition}=ma_x[/tex]
Your sum of all y component forces :
[tex]\Sigma F_{y}=ma_y[/tex]
N-mgcos25=0

Last edited:
Thanks guys, really appreciate your help.

What is a tough problem?

A tough problem is a complex or difficult issue that requires a lot of time, effort, and critical thinking to solve. It can be a challenge in any field, such as science, math, technology, or everyday life.

Why do some problems seem tough for certain people but not others?

Each person has their own unique strengths and weaknesses, which can affect how they approach and solve problems. Some people may have a natural talent or prior experience in a particular area, making certain problems easier for them to solve. Additionally, individual problem-solving skills and strategies can also play a role in how tough a problem is perceived.

What should I do when faced with a tough problem?

The first step is to not get overwhelmed or frustrated. Take a deep breath and break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, gather all the information you have and try to identify any patterns or connections. You can also seek help from others, do research, or take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

Are there any tips for solving tough problems?

Yes, there are a few strategies that can be helpful when facing a tough problem. These include breaking the problem into smaller parts, using critical thinking skills, staying organized, seeking help from others, and being open to different perspectives and solutions. It's also important to not give up and keep trying even if it takes multiple attempts to find a solution.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and learning from past experiences. It's also helpful to approach problems with a positive and open mindset, as well as to continuously seek new knowledge and strategies for problem-solving. Working on puzzles, brain teasers, and other challenging activities can also help strengthen problem-solving skills.