Quick tetrad/vierbein question

• Thread starter unchained1978
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of vierbein fields in decomposing the curvature tensor and the confusion surrounding terms involving repeated Greek indices. A reference is requested for clarification, and the use of Latin and Greek indices is explained. The conversation also mentions a possible typo and the correct way to express the inner product using the metric.
unchained1978
In working with these vierbein fields I've come across these terms such as [itex]e^{aμ}[/itex][itex]e^{μ}_{a}[/itex] where the e's are vierbein fields. The thing is I have no idea what this represents because of the repeated μ's.You can rewrite this with the local lorentz metric to raise and lower the a's and b's but you're still left with identical greek indices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give a reference to where you see this?

I think Wald will use, for example, the notation [itex](e_\mu)^a(e_\mu)_a[/itex] I wasn't able to figure that out too well either.

I think the latin index should just tell you that it's a vector or a one form, and the Greek index should tell you which basis vector he's talking about.

George Jones said:
Could you give a reference to where you see this?

I was decomposing the curvature tensor in terms of vierbeins, and when I contracted it with the vierbein I ended up with a term like the one mentioned. I can't get rid of it.

If it arose legitimately, the value is eμa eμa = δμμ = 4.

It must have been a typo or something, both Lorentz and world indices must be used repeatedly, only if summed over and summation should be <covariant vs contravariant>, so that

[tex] e^{\mu}_{~a} e^{\mu a} [/tex]

is wrong, while[tex] e^{\mu}_{~a} e_{\mu}^{~a} [/tex]

is correct.

Not to disagree with you, but I've come at this problem a few different ways now and I always get stuck on the same term. It's not a typo, it somehow represents the inner product of a vierbein field with itself.

The 'inner product' is still expressible in terms of the metric, therefore covariant, so that my statement from point 6 applies.

1. What is a tetrad/vierbein?

A tetrad, also known as a vierbein, is a set of four orthonormal vectors that are used to describe the local geometry of spacetime in general relativity. These vectors can be thought of as a basis for the tangent space at a given point in spacetime.

2. How is a tetrad/vierbein different from a basis of vectors?

A tetrad is similar to a basis of vectors in that it also provides a set of reference vectors for a given point in spacetime. However, a tetrad is specifically designed to work with curved spacetime, while a basis of vectors is typically used in flat space.

3. Why are tetrads/vierbeins important in general relativity?

Tetrads are important in general relativity because they allow us to work with curved spacetime in a way that is similar to working with flat space. This makes it easier to perform calculations and make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravity.

4. How are tetrads/vierbeins used in gravitational theories?

In gravitational theories, tetrads are used to describe the local geometry of spacetime and the behavior of matter and energy within that geometry. They are also used in the field equations of general relativity, as well as in other theories such as teleparallel gravity.

5. Can tetrads/vierbeins be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, tetrads have applications in other areas of physics beyond general relativity. They have been used in theories of quantum gravity, as well as in certain models of particle physics. They can also be used in mathematical tools such as differential forms and spinors.