Why light is remains massless even if travelling w/ the fastest velocity?

In summary, Einstein's theory of relativity states that an object accelerated close to the speed of light gains a tremendous amount of mass. However, this does not apply to massless particles, such as photons, which always travel at the speed of light. The concept of relativistic mass is no longer used by modern physicists. This explains why light, which is massless, does not gain mass as it travels at the speed of light.
121910marj
I got confused.. XD

"Under Einstein's theory of relativity, an object accelerated close to the speed of light gains a tremendous amount of mass.That is why no amount of energy can suffice to accelerate any object, even an elementary particle, to the speed of light - it becomes infinitely massive at the limit."

Photons are elementary particles that compose light. But as it travels at the speed of 3x10^8 m/s, i don't think it gain tremendous amount of mass, because light as we know is massless.

Please help. I got confused.

Thanks,
121910marj

Physics news on Phys.org
Light doesn't accelerate to c. It starts at c and always travels at c. So even if you use the concept of relativistic mass (which modern physicists do not) the above quote doesn't apply to light.

Yes, the statement that an object's mass grows as it accelerates only applies to massive particles. Massless particles travel exclusively at the speed of light.

DaleSpam & Pengwuino,
Thanks, it's all clear to me now.. :))

I thought that the mass grew because it need an increasing amount of power. Think of it like this. A rocket ship needs a lot of fuel. If it wants to go faster, it needs more fuel. If it wants to go at the speed of light, it needs an infinite amount of fuel, therefore infinitely massive, therefore impossible. Something like that. Kind of.

1. Why is light considered to be massless?

One of the fundamental properties of light is that it does not have any mass. This means that it does not have any physical substance and does not take up space.

2. How can light have momentum if it is massless?

While light does not have mass, it does have energy and momentum. This is due to its wave-like behavior and the fact that it carries energy and momentum through its oscillations.

3. Can anything travel at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass would become infinite, requiring infinite energy to continue accelerating.

4. How is the speed of light related to the speed of matter?

The speed of light is considered to be the universal speed limit. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, including matter. As objects with mass approach the speed of light, their relative speed will decrease.

5. What would happen if something with mass could travel at the speed of light?

If an object with mass could travel at the speed of light, it would require an infinite amount of energy. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass would become infinite, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.