Reference in the origin of species

In summary, the Origin of Species can be found online at these locations. The best benefit of reading it is seeing old, antique references that would otherwise be unknown to the reader.
bob_jenkins
reference in "the origin of species"

I've been reading Darwin's "The Origin of Species". It turns out the benefit isn't so much seeing a familiar theory in original form, although there is a fascination in seeing evolution described without knowing Mendellian inheritance. The best benefit is Darwin's antique references. When I see something I don't recognize (and there are often several per page), I look them up on the internet, and find something I've never heard of before. The funnest reference for me so far has been to the turnspit dog.

The current reference is this: "In the vegetable kingdom we have a case of analogous variation, in the enlarged stems, or as commonly called roots, of the Swedish turnip and ruta-baga, plants which several botanists rank as varieties produced by cultivation from a common parent: if this be not so, the case will then be one of analogous variation in two so-called distinct species; and to these a third may be added, namely, the common turnip." What difference did Darwin see between the Swedish turnip and the rutabaga? I used a rutabaga in a lamb stew yesterday; nice yellow thing. The internet today thinks Swedish turnips and rutabagas are the same thing.

And another question: how come public domain books like "The Origin of Species" aren't online in sort of a bloglike format, where users can attach comments and discussions to particular passages? I suppose search engines achieve this in a roundabout way if any discussion anywhere on the web quotes a long enough passage, but that seems fragile (I only did a long quote here because I'm asking this question) and indirect.

Biology news on Phys.org

The rutabaga has had a pretty varied taxonomic history so Darwin was probably just referencing other writers.
I think he means between one rutabaga and another one. If you grow them yourself they can vary quite a bit.

Origin of the Species is online in the form of an ebook from the gutenberg project.
I imagine you won't find wiki-style web pages for much the same reason that the existence of God is a banned topic on PF :)

eg.
http://darwin-online.org.uk/Francis_Darwins_Origin_of_species_1859.html
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1228

1. What is the main concept of reference in the origin of species?

The concept of reference in the origin of species refers to the sources and evidence that scientists use to support the theory of evolution. This includes observations from nature, fossil records, genetic evidence, and other scientific data.

2. How does reference support the theory of evolution?

Reference plays a crucial role in supporting the theory of evolution by providing evidence that shows how species have changed over time and how they are related to one another. This evidence helps to explain the process of natural selection and how it leads to the development of new species.

3. What are some examples of reference used in the origin of species?

Some examples of reference used in the origin of species include the Galapagos finches studied by Charles Darwin, the fossil record of different species, and the genetic similarities between different organisms. Other examples include anatomical and physiological similarities between species, as well as observations of adaptation and speciation in nature.

4. How has reference changed our understanding of the origin of species?

The use of reference has greatly contributed to our understanding of the origin of species. It has provided evidence to support the theory of evolution and has helped us understand the mechanisms behind it. Reference has also led to the discovery of new species and has helped us trace the evolutionary history of different organisms.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the use of reference in the origin of species?

While the majority of scientists accept the theory of evolution and the use of reference to support it, there are some controversies surrounding it. Some individuals and organizations may reject the theory of evolution and therefore question the validity of the evidence and references used to support it. However, the overwhelming amount of evidence and the consistency of its findings make it a widely accepted scientific theory.