What are some useful projects that can be done using Arduino in a cable factory?

In summary: It seems interesting to know about TDR since I think it will dig deeper of my knowledge on physics...I hope there is still more reference interesting project to increase my analysis skill...
creativen
Hello all,

I really need your help Friends,
I am having my internship in a cable factory.

Then I must make a "control" things (for my final project) to finish my undergraduate.

I prefer to choose Arduino as my microcontroller since it is open source and easy to be operated.

I have observed a lot of evilgenius projects from many website.
But still I haven't got the best that might be applied most needed in the factory.

Anyone there have recommendation?
I really thank you for every suggestion and comments here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You probably need to understand the processes being used in the factory better. Once you understand what they are doing and what the problems are, a project will likely become obvious. Talk to your mentor engineer or other engineers working their about their job, the process and the problems the exist.

Well, thank you jsgruszynski...

Agreed - although an ANDON board would be interesting and relatively easy.

You could make some kind of cable diagnostic tool. I admit that using an arduino designed by one person would never compete with a professional tool, but you could design some kind of hand held time domain reflectometer using the A/D, D/A or external signal generator, and the internal timers/counters. This could be used to find faults or cables that are out of specification. Your bandwidth would be very limited, but the concept would be there still as a learning project.

DragonPetter said:
You could make some kind of cable diagnostic tool. I admit that using an arduino designed by one person would never compete with a professional tool, but you could design some kind of hand held time domain reflectometer using the A/D, D/A or external signal generator, and the internal timers/counters. This could be used to find faults or cables that are out of specification. Your bandwidth would be very limited, but the concept would be there still as a learning project.

Now, I am making counter using arduino, I use it to count the amount of production in the company I am working. It counts using ultrasonic sensor as the input and the output will be on 7segments and in the factory PC (means I should deal with VB).

Is this similar by you mean "counter/internal timer"?
What do you mean by time domain reflectometer? any model? any links I can get to see the handheld first?

If I want to compete with a professional tool, where I should start?

Thank you for your very well response..

Best Regards,
Sugianto

creativen said:
Now, I am making counter using arduino, I use it to count the amount of production in the company I am working. It counts using ultrasonic sensor as the input and the output will be on 7segments and in the factory PC (means I should deal with VB).

Is this similar by you mean "counter/internal timer"?
What do you mean by time domain reflectometer? any model? any links I can get to see the handheld first?

If I want to compete with a professional tool, where I should start?

Thank you for your very well response..

Best Regards,
Sugianto

I don't think you want to compete with a professional tool for an intern project. They can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in development, and have years of development in them from teams of engineers.

Yes, I was referring to the timer/counter peripherals inside of the arduino (ATmega microcontroller) that you are using. You would use those to time and synchronize your measurements.

Here is the device I was talking about:
http://www.tscm.com/riprcop.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-domain_reflectometer

Oh thousand of dollars?! Oh my godness...
I think I can upgrade my skill if I can make professional tool...
I am too confident maybe, because I just find PROTEUS simulation software where I can reduce the cost by only making the simulation...

It seems interesting to know about TDR since I think it will dig deeper of my knowledge on physics...
I hope there is still more reference interesting project to increase my analysis skill...

Danke Schon DragonPetter

1. What is an Arduino board?

An Arduino board is a microcontroller-based device that allows users to create electronic projects and prototypes. It consists of a programmable circuit board, various input and output pins, and a development environment that allows users to write and upload code to control the board.

2. What are the best projects that can be made using Arduino?

There are countless projects that can be made using Arduino, as it is a versatile and customizable platform. Some popular projects include home automation systems, robotics projects, and wearable technology. However, the best project for you will depend on your interests and goals.

3. Do I need to have programming knowledge to use Arduino?

While having some knowledge of programming can be helpful, it is not necessary to use Arduino. The development environment provides a user-friendly interface and there are plenty of online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started.

4. What are the benefits of using Arduino for projects?

Arduino is a popular choice for projects because it is affordable, easy to use, and has a large and active community. It also offers a wide range of sensors and modules that can be easily integrated into projects, making it a versatile platform for a variety of applications.

5. Where can I find inspiration for Arduino projects?

There are many online resources for finding inspiration for Arduino projects, such as the official Arduino Project Hub, Instructables, and Hackster. You can also join online communities and forums to connect with other Arduino users and share ideas.