Finding Force from Mass & Velocity: N = kg × m/s²

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force when given the mass and constant velocity of an object. The answer needs to be in Newtons, with the mass in kg and velocity in m/s. It is mentioned that 1 N is equal to 1 kg x m/s^2. It is also noted that if the velocity and mass are constant, then there is no net force acting on the object. It is questioned if this could be a trick question since a constant velocity has no acceleration and therefore F=ma would result in 0 force. It is then confirmed that F_net=0 when an object has constant velocity due to a=0.
ncrowley1818
I have a problem that gives mass of object and the constant velocity. I need to find the force.

I know the answer needs to be in Newtons. So the weight is in "kg" and velocity is "m/s". I know that 1 N=1 kg x m/s^2. I am stuck on how to get the force into Newtons??

Physics news on Phys.org
If the velocity and mass of the object are constant then there is no net force acting on the it.

Or could this be a trick question since a constant velocity has no acceleration and F=ma F=m(0) equals 0, so there is no force?

Yes. F_net = 0 when it is at a constant velocity. Simply because a = 0.

1. How do you find force from mass and velocity?

To find force from mass and velocity, you can use the equation F = m x a, where F is force in Newtons (N), m is mass in kilograms (kg), and a is acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²). This equation is also known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

2. What is the unit of force in the equation N = kg x m/s²?

The unit of force in the equation N = kg x m/s² is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

3. What is the relationship between mass, velocity, and force?

The relationship between mass, velocity, and force can be described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the greater the mass or velocity of an object, the greater the force required to move it.

4. How does increasing mass affect force?

Increasing mass will increase the force required to accelerate an object. This is because the greater the mass of an object, the more inertia it has, and the more force is needed to overcome that inertia and accelerate the object.

5. How does increasing velocity affect force?

Increasing velocity will also increase the force required to accelerate an object. This is because the greater the velocity of an object, the more energy it has and the more force is needed to change its direction or speed.