Earnshaw's Theorem and electrostatics

In summary, Earnshaw's Theorem states that it is impossible to have a stable equilibrium in electrostatics. This can be proven by considering a charge Q in stable equilibrium at a point P and using Gauss' Law with a spherical gaussian surface centered on P. The direction of E necessary for equilibrium is inward, but this leads to a contradiction as the divergence comes out to zero. Additionally, using a spherical surface versus a circular surface can result in a difference in answer by a factor of 1/3. Therefore, it is not possible to achieve stable equilibrium in electrostatics.
arishorts

Homework Statement

14: a: It is impossible to have a stable equilibrium in electrostatics. This idea is known as Earnshaw’s Theorem. Let’s prove this fact. Assume that at a particular point P that a charge Q is in a stable equilibrium. Think about the direction of E⃗ necessary for the equilibrium. Now use Gauss’ Law with a spherical gaussian surface centered on P. Show that this leads to a contradiction.
b: Imagine a square in the xy plane with a point charge Q fixed at each corner. Now put a test charge q in the exact center of the square. What direction(s) can we move q in for which the equilibrium is stable? For which it is not stable? Explain.

Homework Equations

Gauss's equation: (E*A)/(Qenclosed*(Permittivity of free space))

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured out that the direction of E has to be inward, but i don't understand why. With some research I've found the proof where the divergence comes out to zero, but wouldn't that mean it achieves stable equilibrium? Seems a bit contradictory. Also, if you use a spherical versus a circular surface, you get a difference in answer by a factor of 1/3... That's the best i can do. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
arishorts said:
the divergence comes out to zero, but wouldn't that mean it achieves stable equilibrium?
No, that could be metastable, like a ball on a surface that is fully horizontal.

I like your analogy, a lot actually. But how can i prove that using Gauss' theorem leads to a contradiction?

1. What is Earnshaw's Theorem?

Earnshaw's Theorem is a fundamental principle in electrostatics that states that it is impossible to create a stable, static configuration of point electric charges using only electrostatic forces.

2. What does Earnshaw's Theorem tell us about the stability of charged particles?

Earnshaw's Theorem tells us that, in the absence of external forces, charged particles cannot be held in a fixed position using only electrostatic forces. This means that the particles will either repel each other or be pulled towards infinity, making it impossible to create a stable configuration.

3. Can Earnshaw's Theorem be applied to all types of charges?

Yes, Earnshaw's Theorem applies to all types of charges, whether they are positive or negative. It is a general principle that governs the behavior of charged particles in electrostatic systems.

4. What are the practical applications of Earnshaw's Theorem?

Earnshaw's Theorem has many practical applications, such as in the design of magnetic levitation systems, particle accelerators, and ion traps. It also helps us understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and the stability of molecular structures.

5. Is Earnshaw's Theorem a law or a theory?

Earnshaw's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that has been proven to be true in all cases. It is considered a law in the field of electrostatics and is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the behavior of charged particles.