Backpacking Canister Stove - Canister Pressure at Altitude

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to the internal pressure and boiling point of n-butane in a fuel canister used at different altitudes. The first question asks about the boiling point of n-butane in the canister, while the second question discusses the effects of altitude on the canister's internal pressure. The conversation also mentions various links and sources for further information on the topic. Ultimately, it is concluded that the rigid nature of the canister keeps the pressure the same, but cold temperatures can affect the pressure inside.
Dexters
I'm raising these two questions based upon something I read on Backpackinglight.com - see link #1 - having to do with the internal pressure of fuel canisters filled at sea level and used at 6,000 feet.

The first question has to do with the boiling point of n-butane used in the test - see link #2

In link #2 it states:

Temperature: 31F/-0.5C as measured on a digital probe type cook's thermometer. No calibration was employed on the thermometer.
Boiling point of n-butane at sea level: 31F/-0.5C
Boiling point of n-butane at 6,000'/1800m: About 19F/-7C

Question 1 - What was the boiling point of n-butane the canister?Question 2 - Can anyone explain the canister pressure equalization disussed below? My gut tells me that the effects of altitude would have little effect on the internal pressure of the canister because of the rigid nature of the canister.
Paul Mason wrote: > What about the issue of the n-butane being in a canister? For the inside pressure of the canister to equal the outside pressure; wouldn't the volume/size of the canister have to increase while the amount of the fuel inside remained the same?

If my understanding is correct there is a 23% decrease in air pressure from sea level to 6,000ft.
http://www.endmemo.com/physics/pressurealtitude.php

If, I'm correct that means that the n-butane was below or at the borderline of its boiling temperature during the test.

Paul, the key difference in pressures is the relative difference between the inside (the canister) pressure and the outside. As gas is drawn off, pressure starts to equalize between the inside and the outside. At the point no more gas issues forth, the pressures are equal. Ultimately, it is the ambient air pressure and canister temperature that determines how much flow you'll get from a canister.
Link #1 - the bottom video is long but shows everything
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73386

Line #2
http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2013/02/advantages-of-regulator-valved-stoves.htmlThis is what a fuel caniste looks like - not used in the tests.

http://www.rei.com/product/643061/snow-peak-giga-power-fuel-canister

Here is more on canisters and the effects of cold.

http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't the energy to go through all the links but...

My gut tells me that the effects of altitude would have little effect on the internal pressure of the canister because of the rigid nature of the canister

Correct. If the temperature of the canister is kept the same the pressuer will stay the same.

However if the temperature of the canister falls then the pressure inside will fall. Especially if the temperature gets below the boiling point of the Butane.

Its well known that butane is usless in cold weather and many people use propane or a mixture for that reason.

1. What is a backpacking canister stove?

A backpacking canister stove is a portable cooking device that uses pressurized fuel canisters to heat food and water while camping or hiking. It is lightweight and compact, making it a popular choice for outdoor enthusiasts.

2. How does a backpacking canister stove work?

A backpacking canister stove works by attaching a small fuel canister to the stove and turning on the valve to release the pressurized fuel. The fuel then travels through a tube and is ignited by a spark or match, producing a flame that heats the cooking surface.

3. What is canister pressure and why is it important at altitude?

Canister pressure refers to the amount of pressure inside the fuel canister. At higher altitudes, the air pressure is lower, which can cause the canister pressure to decrease. This can affect the performance of the stove and make it more difficult to ignite and maintain a flame.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a backpacking canister stove?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use caution when operating a backpacking canister stove. Some tips for safe use include keeping the stove on a flat and stable surface, making sure the fuel canister is securely attached, and never leaving the stove unattended while in use.

5. How can I adjust my backpacking canister stove for different altitudes?

There are a few ways to adjust your backpacking canister stove for different altitudes. One option is to use a pressure regulator attachment, which helps to maintain consistent pressure in the fuel canister. Another option is to switch to a liquid fuel stove, which is less affected by altitude changes. It is also helpful to preheat the fuel canister by placing it in warm water before use at high altitudes.