Free alternative to Mathematica?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter E7.5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the software Sage incorrectly computed the answer -3Pi/2 from Mathematica. I'm looking for a different CAS software that might provide a different answer, but so far wxMaxima has not worked and I'm not sure what else I can use.
E7.5
In Mathematica, I computed the integral ##\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin((2n+1)x)}{\sinh(x)} \ dx## and it incorrectly output the answer ##-\frac{3\pi}{2}##. I wanted to try a different CAS software that might provide a different answer, but so far wxMaxima has not worked and I'm not sure what else I can use. I'm also looking for a free alternative because I want to use it at home, since I can only use Mathematica in school and I can't afford a personal license for Mathematica.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an open source free software called Sage that does symbolic mathematics. It's not as good as Mathematica, but it's free.

phyzguy said:
There is an open source free software called Sage that does symbolic mathematics. It's not as good as Mathematica, but it's free.
This software takes up 7 gigabytes :eek: but if it can compute this integral, then I'll keep it around.

Edit: Nope, it doesn't work :(

Last edited:
You might try Axiom. It can be demanding when it comes to details, but it might get you an answer if you carefully follow all the rules.

I'm puzzled how you ended up with -3Pi/2 from Mathematica. When I try

Code:
Limit[1/n^2*Integrate[Sin[(2*n+1)*x]/Sinh[x], {x, 0, Pi/2}], n->Infinity]

it can do the integration but can't seem to find the last step to resolve the limit.

When I ran this with my copy of Mathematica 7, it gave me the (I think correct) answer of 0. Are you sure you entered it into Mathematica correctly?

Code:
In[21]:= Limit[
 n^-2*Integrate[Sin[(2 n + 1) x]/Sinh[x], {x, 0, \[Pi]/2}], 
 n -> \[Infinity]]

Out[21]= 0

Code:
In[1]:= $Version

Out[1]= "9.0 for Microsoft Windows (64-bit) (January 25, 2013)"

In[2]:= Limit[1/n^2*Integrate[Sin[(2*n + 1)*x]/Sinh[x], {x, 0, Pi/2}], n -> Infinity]

Out[2]= Limit[-((I (Beta[E^Pi, (1/2-I/2)-I n, 0] - Beta[E^Pi, (1/2+I/2)+I n, 0] - 
     I Pi Tanh[(1/2+n) Pi]))/(2 n^2)), n->Infinity]

Sorry, I meant to address my question to the OP. E7.5, can you show us the Mathematica code you used? I think the integral itself approaches pi/2 as n gets large, so when divided by n^2, the limit should be zero, which is what my version of Mathematica gave.

I think Octave is what you want. It is an open source clone of MatLab and shares much of the same language as MatLab. I recently installed it on my virtual machine and was able to run most of the scripts I wrote in MatLab that I use for my research on Octave without too much debugging.

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

$mathieu said:
I think Octave is what you want. It is an open source clone of MatLab and shares much of the same language as MatLab. I recently installed it on my virtual machine and was able to run most of the scripts I wrote in MatLab that I use for my research on Octave without too much debugging.

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

Matlab is not Mathematica. Octave can't do symbolic math.

DrClaude said:
Matlab is not Mathematica. Octave can't do symbolic math.

Oops, should have read more closely, my bad.

try in Mathematica

In[15]= FullSimplify[Limit[n^-2*Integrate[Sin[(2 n+1) x]/Sinh[x],{x,0,π/2}],n->∞]]

Out[15]= 0

whereas

Limit[1/n^2*Integrate[Sin[(2*n+1)*x]/Sinh[x],{x,0,Pi/2}],n->Infinity]

gives an incomplete answer.

1. What is a free alternative to Mathematica?

A free alternative to Mathematica is a software called Octave. It is a high-level programming language and open-source numerical computing environment that is similar to Mathematica in terms of functionality and features.

2. What are the main differences between Octave and Mathematica?

Octave and Mathematica have some key differences in terms of their syntax and capabilities. Octave is primarily a programming language, whereas Mathematica is a symbolic computation system. Octave also has a simpler syntax compared to Mathematica, which can make it easier for beginners to use. However, Mathematica has a more extensive library of built-in functions and is known for its advanced visualization capabilities.

3. Can Octave handle the same types of computations as Mathematica?

Yes, Octave can handle many of the same types of computations as Mathematica. Both software have powerful mathematical and statistical capabilities, such as solving equations, performing matrix operations, and generating plots and graphs. However, there may be some specific functions or features that are only available in Mathematica and not in Octave.

4. Is Octave compatible with Mathematica files?

No, Octave and Mathematica use different file formats, so they are not compatible with each other. However, Octave has a function called "mat2octave" that can convert some Mathematica files to Octave format. Additionally, Octave has a built-in function for reading data from Mathematica files and converting it into an Octave matrix.

5. Can I use Octave for commercial purposes?

Yes, Octave is free and open-source software, so it can be used for both personal and commercial purposes without any restrictions. However, it is always recommended to check the license terms of the specific version of Octave you are using to ensure compliance.