Zag Solenoid: Using Magnetic Field Force Formula

In summary, the conversation is about using the Lorentz force formula (F=qvB) to calculate the magnetic field force created by a solenoid. The formula uses the velocity of the electron, which is provided by the user, and the magnetic field created by the solenoid (B=unI). The user also mentions using the equation n=N/L and the value of u=k(4*pie*10^-7) to calculate the final value for B. The expert confirms that the calculations seem correct and provides a resource for understanding the Lorentz force formula.
Ziggey
Hello so I just want to make sure I Am doing this correctly.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1405535637.088417.jpg
also I know there is a magnetic field force formula. That is F= qv (dot) B
How would I go about using that formula with the magnetic field I created from the solenoid in the picture?

Thanks for any help!
Zig

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really hard to read the text in the picture. Can you summarize by posting it?

Ok I'm using the equation B= unI
n=N/L
u=k(4*pie*10^-7)
k=200

Once I plug in the numbers I get n= 18/.504=35.7142, u= 2.513*10^-4.
So if I have 10 amps then my final number should be .0897 B. Did I do that correct?

For the values you have assumed, the calculations seem correct. About the magnetic field force formula, you are referring to Lorentz force formula:##F=q (\vec{v}\times\vec{B})##

Ok well what I don't understand about that equation is the velocity part. I have been trying to do some reading on it, but I don't understand it. Is the velocity for the speed of the electron or something else?

Ok I will try and get it then show my work to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Thank you for the help! Zig

1. What is a Zag Solenoid?

A Zag solenoid is a type of electromagnet that produces a magnetic field using the force formula derived from the Biot-Savart law. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core, creating a magnetic field along the axis of the coil when an electric current is passed through it.

2. How does the magnetic field force formula work?

The magnetic field force formula, also known as the Biot-Savart law, calculates the magnetic field strength at a point in space due to a current-carrying wire. It takes into account the distance from the wire, the current, and the angle between the wire and the point of interest. The formula is F = (μ0 * I * l * sinθ) / (2π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, l is the length of the wire, θ is the angle between the wire and the point, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. What are some applications of Zag Solenoids?

Zag solenoids are used in a variety of applications, including loudspeakers, motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also commonly used in scientific and research settings to create precise and controllable magnetic fields.

4. How do you calculate the force exerted by a Zag Solenoid?

To calculate the force exerted by a Zag solenoid, you can use the magnetic field force formula mentioned above. Simply plug in the values for μ0, I, l, θ, and r to calculate the force at a specific point in the magnetic field. It is important to note that the force will vary depending on the distance and angle from the solenoid, so multiple calculations may be needed to determine the overall force exerted.

5. How can Zag Solenoids be used to create a uniform magnetic field?

Zag solenoids can be stacked or arranged in a specific way to create a uniform magnetic field. By aligning the solenoids in a specific direction and adjusting the current and distance between them, a consistent and predictable magnetic field can be achieved. This is useful in applications where a uniform magnetic field is necessary, such as in particle accelerators or in scientific experiments.