Newtons second law force problem

In summary, a 69 kg block is pushed along the ceiling with a constant force of 1300N at an angle of 56 degrees with the horizontal. The block accelerates to the right at 8m/s^2. The magnitude of the normal force exerted by the ceiling on the block can be found by using the formula Fsin56 - mg = N. For the second problem, a merry-go-round completes one revolution in 16s and a 19.7kg child sits 3.58m from the center. The child's acceleration can be determined by using the formula for centripetal acceleration, given the speed around the circle. The child's mass is irrelevant in this calculation.
pringless
A 69 kg block is pushed along the celing with a constant applied force of 1300N that acts at an angle of 56 degrees with the horzontal. The block accelerates to the right at 8m/s^2. What is the magnitude of the normal force the ceiling exerts on the block? Answer in units of N.

and

A merry-go-round makes one complete revolution in 16s. A 19.7kg child sits on the horizontal floor of the merry-go-round 3.58 m from the center. Find the child's acceleration. Answer in units of m/s^2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Strange- you seem to have neglected to show what YOU have already done on these problems.

ok for problem 1)
i did fnet = ma
i think i have it now
i did Fsin56 - mg = N

and i have no clue where to start on the second problem

Last edited:
The child's mass is irrelevant. Since the radius for the child is 3.58 meters, the child is going around a distance of 2π (3.58) meters every 16 s. From that you can determine the childs speed in mets per second. Of course that's a constant speed but the direction is changing. Do you have a formula for the the acceleration toward the center given the speed around the circle?

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. And the heavier the object, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

2. How do I calculate the net force on an object using Newton's Second Law?

The equation for Newton's Second Law is F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. To calculate the net force, simply plug in the values for mass and acceleration and solve for F.

3. What are the units for force and mass in Newton's Second Law?

The units for force are Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. The units for mass are kilograms (kg). When using the equation F = ma, be sure to use consistent units for mass and acceleration to get a correct answer.

4. Can you give an example of a Newton's Second Law force problem?

Sure! Let's say you have a 10 kg object and you apply a force of 20 N to it. What will be its acceleration? Using the equation F = ma, we can solve for a by dividing both sides by the mass: a = F/m. So, in this example, the acceleration would be 2 m/s^2.

5. How does Newton's Second Law relate to the concept of inertia?

Newton's Second Law is closely related to the concept of inertia, which is an object's resistance to change in motion. In the equation F = ma, the mass of the object represents its inertia. This means that an object with more mass will have more inertia and therefore require a greater force to accelerate it.