Age Perception: Compliment or Insult?

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Point
In summary: I'm just kidding. I actually don't mind if men or women say I look older or younger. I just don't care either way.I despise that generalization. I have never behaved like that and I never will.Perhaps because I am pathetic. :rofl: Human psychology goes on well with that. :biggrin:... What?... I'm just kidding. I actually don't mind if men or women say I look older or younger. I just don't care either way.
Physics is Phun
does it switch between an insult and a compliment to being told you look older or younger?
I am an 18 year old guy. I would be complimented if you said i looked 22 but insulted if you said i looked 16.
But when does it switch, when I'm 22 will i be complimented or insulted to be called 20?
is there a difference if your a guy or girl?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's about 5 years. but it gets bigger as you go up, until you hit 40. Then you stop being insulted and just think their crazy, because you don't really consider it plausible that someone actually thinks you're a 22 year old. You might be insulted that they think you're stupid enough to fall for it, but that's all.

-Analysis by a 17 year old.

Last edited:
I think it's more that you reach an age where you realize it just doesn't matter and let such comments slide. I apparently still look young for my age (I don't see that when I look in the mirror, but I must have an especially cruel mirror), so it's not unusual when I meet people for the first time, especially students, that they'll ask me when I expect to graduate. :rolleyes: I don't get insulted because it's actually far more embarrassing for them when I correct them and point out it was quite a while ago and that I'm faculty now.

Moonbear said:
I think it's more that you reach an age where you realize it just doesn't matter and let such comments slide. I apparently still look young for my age (I don't see that when I look in the mirror, but I must have an especially cruel mirror), so it's not unusual when I meet people for the first time, especially students, that they'll ask me when I expect to graduate. :rolleyes: I don't get insulted because it's actually far more embarrassing for them when I correct them and point out it was quite a while ago and that I'm faculty now.
*sigh* so many women in this board look so young for their age. If only offline life were like this.

Next you'll be telling us you all have big breasts, silk hair and cook and clean. :frown: It's just not fair!

-Comment from a 17 year old.

Smurf said:
*sigh* so many women in this board look so young for their age. If only offline life were like this.

Next you'll be telling us you all have big breasts, silk hair and cook and clean. :frown: It's just not fair!

-Comment from a 17 year old.

LOL! Nah, I'm more honest than that. Maybe that's what makes me look young, small breasts don't show signs of sagging as soon as large ones. :uhh: I have hair that is naturally curly and because I wear it long, is very wavy, but silk, no, especially not in the humidity of Cincinnati. I do know how to cook and clean, but I'd rather make someone else do it. :devil: Actually, having to keep the house in perfect condition for selling it has turned me into a bit of an obsessive-compulsive neat freak. Entropy always wins out though, and the house resorts to disorder. Actually, the biggest hindrance to cooking for me is deciding what to cook. If someone told me what they wanted for dinner and provided all the ingredients to take the decision-making out of that process, I can cook it all without a problem.

Honestly, I don't think I look young for my age, I guess I just don't look as old for my age as other women do. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
Honestly, I don't think I look young for my age, I guess I just don't look as old for my age as other women do. :tongue:
Thats all you need. :rofl: :rofl: I'm not perfect, I'm just less unperfect than everyone else.

I, um, 'blossomed' at a very early age and was often mistaken for being older. I guess it helped that I usually hung out with older people too. I liked it up until about 21. I think that when I was younger, I associated being older with being more mature, having more freedoms, you know, generally being an 'adult'. I'm 22 and wouldn't really care either way. But I kind of miss guy's reactions when they hit on you and find out you're jailbait. You can almost read their thoughts: Oh, sh**, step away, that sucks, hm..., ah, whatever, it's worth it, move back in. :rolleyes: Men.

honestrosewater said:
:rolleyes: Men.
I despise that generalization. I have never behaved like that and I never will.

Perhaps because I am pathetic. :rofl: Human psychology goes on well with that. :biggrin:

... What? :confused: stop talking gibberish.

honestrosewater said:
I, um, 'blossomed' at a very early age and was often mistaken for being older. I guess it helped that I usually hung out with older people too. I liked it up until about 21. I think that when I was younger, I associated being older with being more mature, having more freedoms, you know, generally being an 'adult'. I'm 22 and wouldn't really care either way. But I kind of miss guy's reactions when they hit on you and find out you're jailbait. You can almost read their thoughts: Oh, sh**, step away, that sucks, hm..., ah, whatever, it's worth it, move back in. :rolleyes: Men.

Some men like women for there personality first, it is just a bonus if they have
a curvy figure, as for that jail bait thing :yuck: a lady should be a treasure not
to own but to be with.

so, back to talking about Moonbear's breasts...

oh, sorry, were you saying something wolram?

Just follow exactly the same way you are talking.. :biggrin:

Emieno said:
Just follow exactly the same way you are talking.. :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You make no sense what-so-ever.

Smurf said:

Smurf, you are very naughty, now i know ladies like some titivation, but to talk
about their ***** is taboo.

wolram said:
Smurf, you are very naughty, now i know ladies like some titivation, but to talk
about their ***** is taboo.
pffft, everything's taboo in today's society. Can't talk about anything, can't even date your sister anymore! What is this world coming to! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOOOOOO!

I havn't had much sleep.

Smurf said:
I havn't had much sleep.

Thats ok mate, hot blood isn't only a youthful thing, but some times it is best to keep your thoughts under your hat :biggrin:

I don't wear hats.

Smurf said:
I don't wear hats.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Smurf said:
I despise that generalization. I have never behaved like that and I never will.

Yeah, so you've earned a double. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Men.

What's so funny? :confused:

Moonbear said:
Moonbear, are you about 50, like Evo ?

marlon :blushing:

marlon said:
Moonbear, are you about 50, like Evo ?

marlon :blushing:
SILENCE INFIDEL! YOU DARE SPEAK SUCH BLASPHEMY TO ONE SUCH AS THE GREAT AND HOLY MOONBEAR! DARE YE NOT ASK A GODESS' AGE HEATHEN!

Next time I shall have you stripped of your rank. Consider yourself warned.

Smurf said:
SILENCE INFIDEL! YOU DARE SPEAK SUCH BLASPHEMY TO ONE SUCH AS THE GREAT AND HOLY MOONBEAR! DARE YE NOT ASK A GODESS' AGE HEATHEN!

Next time I shall have you stripped of your rank. Consider yourself warned.
Ohh, so MOONBEAR is holy then ? Who gave her that status ? The Holy See ?
marlon

marlon said:
Ohh, so MOONBEAR is holy then ? Who gave her that status ? The Holy See ?
marlon
I did. As the only omnipotent god I have that power.

Smurf said:
I did. As the only omnipotent god I have that power.
Ohh, than i can ask my question anyway because i do not recognize you as being my God.

Thanks for reassuring me.

regards
marlon

marlon said:
Ohh, than i can ask my question anyway because i do not recognize you as being my God.
*shrug* I don't need your belief to give me power over you. You have been warned.

Smurf said:
*shrug* I don't need your belief to give me power over you. You have been warned.
I will take the risk anyhow. A God named SMURF does not really impress me. You could at least have chosen a Latin name man

marlon

MOONBEAR ARE YOU 50 ?

marlon

That's it, you're going to hell for sure now buddy.

marlon said:
I will take the risk anyhow. A God named SMURF does not really impress me. You could at least have chosen a Latin name man

marlon
Caeruleus Fatuus? Eh, marlon, can you inflect me? :blushing:

Moonbear is 33.

It doesn't matter what your chronological age is, it's how you think, act, feel, and look. I thought the girl two offices down from me was 25, she's 49 and a grandmother. :bugeye:

Moonbear is a youngster.

Evo said:
It doesn't matter what your chronological age is, it's how you think, act, feel, and look. I thought the girl two offices down from me was 25, she's 49 and a grandmother. :bugeye:

Moonbear is a youngster.
And I am a fossil.