Researchers Develop Quantum Processor

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of using AP science writers as a source for current research and the more reliable sources for accessing recent publications. The conversation also mentions a breakthrough by the University of Michigan research group in trapping a single atom on an integrated chip and controlling it with electrical signals. This research has been ongoing for some time, but was recently brought to attention through a Yahoo news article. The conversation also references a previous question about trapping an atom above the face of a chip.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060113/bs_nf/40876 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AP science writers aren't good places to learn about current research.

The paper:
http://iontrap.physics.lsa.umich.edu/publications/archive/naturephys_2005_stick_GaAs.pdf [Broken]

and the research group:
http://iontrap.physics.lsa.umich.edu/ [Broken]

and 23 more recent publications by them, accessible for free apparently:
http://iontrap.physics.lsa.umich.edu/publications/recent_pubs.html [Broken]

I haven't read anything yet, still mostly blind from the optomerist's eye drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
"the Michigan team was able to trap a single atom within an integrated chip and control it using electrical signals"

well, this isn't a breakthrough, its already being done for some-time now in my university, infact my classmate works on it...

i posted somewhere here a question about trapping this atom above the face of the chip.

Last edited:
That's the first time I have come across such research and the reason was it was in Yahoo news, my home page. I understand that it doesn't mean that other people didn't know about it or haven't invented it earlier and better.

1. What is a quantum processor?

A quantum processor is a computer chip that operates on principles of quantum mechanics, using quantum bits (qubits) instead of classical bits to store and process information. This allows for faster and more efficient computing compared to classical processors.

2. How does a quantum processor work?

A quantum processor works by manipulating the state of qubits, which can exist in multiple states at once thanks to the principles of superposition and entanglement. This allows for parallel processing and complex calculations to be performed much faster than with classical processors.

3. What is the significance of developing a quantum processor?

The development of a quantum processor has significant implications for various fields, including cryptography, chemistry, and machine learning. It has the potential to solve complex problems that are currently impossible for classical processors to handle, leading to advancements in technology and scientific research.

4. What challenges do researchers face in developing a quantum processor?

Developing a quantum processor is a complex and challenging task, as it involves dealing with delicate qubits that are highly susceptible to interference and decoherence. Researchers also face challenges in scaling up the number of qubits and reducing errors in calculations.

5. When can we expect to see quantum processors in commercial use?

While there have been significant advancements in quantum processor technology, it is still in the early stages of development. It may take several more years before quantum processors are ready for widespread commercial use. However, with ongoing research and progress, we can expect to see quantum processors being used in various applications in the near future.