Trouble determining the correct direction errors for nullclines

In summary, the speaker is asking for clarification on how to determine the correct direction on nullclines when dividing the graph into different sections and choosing different plot points. They are unsure which equations to plug the points into and are looking for guidance.
abacus
I have a simple question regarding nullclines, as I'm having trouble determining the correct direction errors.

For example, here's a system of equations:

dx/dt = 2-x-y

dy/dt=y-x^2

x-null is y= -x + 2
y-null is y= x^2

x-null is vertical, y-null goes horizontal.

But when I divide the graph in different sections, and pick different plot points which equations do I plug into to find directions?

I know that wasn't clear, but for example:

If I want to know if on the y-null if the direction of a certain section is pointing left or right, would I plug the points I chose in:

A) dy/dt = y-X^2
B) dx/dt=2-x-y

or C) y=x^2

I'm not sure which equation to plug it in. I've tried to think it out, but I end up always confusing myself. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly what you are doing, away from the "null clines" (pointswhere they intersect are equilibrium points) you would calculate dx/dt and dy/dt at the point then divide (dy/dt)/(dx/dt) to get the slope.

I'm not sure if that quite helps, I want to know when I take some sample points, which equations do I plug them into in order to get the correct direction.

If that is not given by the slope, (dy/dt)/(dx/dt) then I don't know what you want.

1. What are nullclines and why is it important to determine their correct direction errors?

Nullclines are curves on a phase plane diagram that represent the points where the rate of change of a system is equal to zero. They are important because they help us understand the behavior of a system and determine its stability. Correctly identifying the direction errors for nullclines is crucial for accurately predicting the behavior of a system and making reliable conclusions about its dynamics.

2. What are some common sources of error when determining the direction errors for nullclines?

Some common sources of error when determining the direction errors for nullclines include numerical errors in calculations, incorrect assumptions about the behavior of the system, and incorrect parameter values. It is important to carefully check and verify all calculations and assumptions to minimize these errors.

3. How can one improve their ability to determine the correct direction errors for nullclines?

One can improve their ability to determine the correct direction errors for nullclines by having a strong understanding of the underlying mathematical principles and techniques used in analyzing dynamic systems. Practicing with various examples and seeking feedback from peers or mentors can also help improve one's skills in this area.

4. Are there any tools or software that can assist in determining the correct direction errors for nullclines?

Yes, there are several tools and software available that can assist in determining the correct direction errors for nullclines. These include mathematical modeling software such as MATLAB or Mathematica, as well as online phase plane plot generators. These tools can help automate calculations and reduce errors in determining the direction errors for nullclines.

5. Can the direction errors for nullclines change over time?

Yes, the direction errors for nullclines can change over time if there are changes in the system's parameters or initial conditions. This is why it is important to regularly check and update the direction errors for nullclines when analyzing a dynamic system. Additionally, the direction errors for nullclines may also change when different analysis methods or techniques are used.