Math 360 Assignment, math grammatically

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary: The factorization is really (x+3)(x-4), not the other way around. The statement is true.I'm not sure what you are looking for in addition to the summary I provided earlier. Please clarify.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Decide if each of the following is a sentence or not. If the item is a sentence, is it true or false? Give a reason for your answer. If it is not a sentence, identify the part of speech.

x^2 - x - 12

x^2 - x - 12 = 0

x^2 - x - 12 = (x-3)(x+4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I would call this a noun. "Equals n" or "is greater than n" are examples of verbs, which would make this a statement with verifiable truth or falsehood. Since it is not a sentence, no truth or falsehood exists.

*2.) A question, but no statement. "Values of x where this is true." Although values exist, the statement taken as is doesn't have an inherent truth or falsehood.

3.) A complete, true statement. "x^2 - x - 12" is the noun, and "equals (x+4)(x-3)" is a verb. The statement can be shown to be true with multiplication or factoring.

(x+4)(x-3) = x^2 + 4x - 3x - 12 = x^2 - x - 12

#2 is really the one I am unsure of. Do you all agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Decide if each of the following is a sentence or not. If the item is a sentence, is it true or false? Give a reason for your answer. If it is not a sentence, identify the part of speech.

x^2 - x - 12

x^2 - x - 12 = 0

x^2 - x - 12 = (x-3)(x+4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I would call this a noun. "Equals n" or "is greater than n" are examples of verbs, which would make this a statement with verifiable truth or falsehood. Since it is not a sentence, no truth or falsehood exists.

*2.) A question, but no statement. "Values of x where this is true." Although values exist, the statement taken as is doesn't have an inherent truth or falsehood.

3.) A complete, true statement. "x^2 - x - 12" is the noun, and "equals (x+4)(x-3)" is a verb. The statement can be shown to be true with multiplication or factoring.

(x+4)(x-3) = x^2 + 4x - 3x - 12 = x^2 - x - 12

#2 is really the one I am unsure of. Do you all agree?

What in the world is Math 360?

I would call #2 a sentence, but one that is true for some values of x, and false for others.

Apparently what you are studying in your Math 360 class is categorizing things as nouns or sentences. The usual terminology would be that #1 is an expression, #2 is an equation that is true conditionally, #3 is an equation that is true unconditionally (an identity).

I disagree with some of what you have. In #2 and #3, the verb is "=." To continue this grammar metaphor, what you're calling the verb should probably be called the predicate.

As a non-mathematical example of something similar, "Fred is a salesman." The subject is "Fred," a noun. The verb is "is." The predicate is "is a salesman."

Math 360 is "Foundations of Higher Mathematics" and required for Math majors with a pre-req of calc I. It's mainly proofs and logic, set theory and what not. Being the first day, I assume we start off basic.

Thanks guys, I think this will be a pretty fun class.

EDIT: Darn, #3 is false! I had a second glance.

Last edited:
#3 is false [tex]{(x-3)(x+4)=x^{2}+4x-3x-12=x^{2}+x-12}[/tex]This sounds like a pretty interesting assignment!

#2 is what is called an "open sentence". It is true for some values of x but not others.

For #3, I didn't check the OP's factorization closely enough to notice that his signs were backward.

1. What is Math 360 Assignment?

Math 360 Assignment is a math course that focuses on the use of mathematical concepts in real-life scenarios. It involves problem-solving and critical thinking skills to analyze and interpret data.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take this course?

While having a strong background in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to take Math 360 Assignment. The course covers basic math concepts and builds upon them, so as long as you are willing to put in the effort to learn, you can be successful.

3. How is Math 360 Assignment different from other math courses?

Math 360 Assignment differs from other math courses in that it focuses on the practical application of math in everyday life. It also emphasizes critical thinking and problem-solving skills rather than just memorizing formulas and equations.

4. Is there a lot of writing involved in Math 360 Assignment?

While there may be some writing involved in Math 360 Assignment, the course mainly focuses on using mathematical symbols and equations to solve problems. However, there may be some written explanations required to explain the reasoning behind solutions.

5. How can I succeed in Math 360 Assignment?

To succeed in Math 360 Assignment, it is essential to attend class regularly, stay organized, and practice regularly. It is also helpful to ask questions and seek help when needed and to review material regularly to ensure understanding.