Photon interaction with gravity.

In summary, Schutz's description of the Pound-Rebka experiment showed that photons, despite being chargeless and massless, can still be affected by gravity. This is demonstrated through measuring the redshift of photons. This raises questions about how photons, as the interaction carriers of electromagnetic forces, can be affected by gravity. Some suggest that it is the stationary clocks that run at different rates at different heights, but the evidence points to the photons themselves being affected by gravity.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I read this week in Schutz's description of Pound-Rebka experiment, which demonstrate that a photon also interacts with gravity, i.e measuring its redshift.

My question, is more from particle physics, I mean a photon is the interaction carrier of EM, its chargeless and massles, so how can it be affected by gravity which acts usually on objects which have mass?

You can move this thread if it's not the right place.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I read this week in Schutz's description of Pound-Rebka experiment, which demonstrate that a photon also interacts with gravity, i.e measuring its redshift.
Stationary clocks do not run at the same rate at different heights so then obviously measured frequencies are different as well. So how can we say it is instead the photons that change?

1. What is the relationship between photons and gravity?

Photons are particles of light that do not have mass. They are affected by gravity because they have energy and momentum, which causes them to follow the curvature of spacetime created by massive objects.

2. How does gravity affect the speed of photons?

Gravity does not directly affect the speed of photons, as they always travel at the speed of light. However, gravity can change the path of photons, causing them to appear to slow down or speed up from our perspective.

3. Can photons escape from black holes due to gravity?

No, photons cannot escape from black holes because their escape velocity, which is determined by the strength of gravity, is greater than the speed of light. This means that even light cannot travel fast enough to escape the strong gravitational pull of a black hole.

4. How does gravity affect the wavelength of photons?

Gravity can cause the wavelength of photons to change through a phenomenon called gravitational redshift. This occurs when photons lose energy as they climb out of a gravitational well, causing their wavelength to increase.

5. Can photons be used to study gravity?

Yes, photons can be used to study gravity through techniques such as gravitational lensing, where the path of light is bent by the gravitational pull of a massive object. This can provide insights into the distribution and behavior of matter in the universe.