Help with Fortran: Generating Random Vectors w/ Binary Values

• Fortran
  • Thread starter sue132
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary: OP is trying to generate binary vectors and is having trouble getting them to be linearly independent. They are considering using a random number generator but are unsure if this is the best approach. They also mention orthogonalization and the possibility of getting a Hadamard matrix as a result. They receive some advice on how to generate linearly independent vectors and some suggestions for improving their method.
sue132
Hi,

I'm trying to generate a set of random vectors with binary values. I need to generate them such that each time, one new vector gets added to the existing matrix. I have been using call random_number(ranval) for the generation, but I haven't been able to get linearly independent vectors.

(I need to orthogonalize them, so the vectors have to be linearly independent)

Any help would be much appreciated. Any info on random number generators would also be useful.

Thanks,
S.

(P.S. I am currently working with Fortran77)

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
sue132 said:
Hi,

I'm trying to generate a set of random vectors with binary values. I need to generate them such that each time, one new vector gets added to the existing matrix. I have been using call random_number(ranval) for the generation, but I haven't been able to get linearly independent vectors.
You don't provide enough context for me to get very specific, but I'll take a stab at it.

How big are the vectors? And when you say "binary values" I'm assuming you mean the vectors consist of 0s and 1s - just checking.

It might be that you can't do what you're trying to do. Let's say for the sake of simplicity that your vectors have 4 elements, such as <0, 1, 1, 1>. If you generate a vector with four values, that vector and the one you just generated might not form a linearly independent set of vectors. In any case, you'll never get more than 4 vectors for a linearly independent set (with n = 4).

The same limitation exists for higher dimension vectors. If n = 25, you won't be able to get more than 25 vectors in your matrix.

Maybe you know all this, but since I don't know your mathematical background, I felt I should mention it.

sue132 said:
(I need to orthogonalize them, so the vectors have to be linearly independent)

Any help would be much appreciated. Any info on random number generators would also be useful.

Thanks,
S.

(P.S. I am currently working with Fortran77)

AlephZero said:
Your question seems to be about generating Hadamard matrices, or a generalization of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadamard_matrix
I think that is what my end result would be. I have to generate a matrix with random vectors, and then when i do the orthogonalization, I think I'll get a Hadamard matrix as the result.
Thanks for the info

Mark44 said:
You don't provide enough context for me to get very specific, but I'll take a stab at it.

How big are the vectors? And when you say "binary values" I'm assuming you mean the vectors consist of 0s and 1s - just checking.

It might be that you can't do what you're trying to do. Let's say for the sake of simplicity that your vectors have 4 elements, such as <0, 1, 1, 1>. If you generate a vector with four values, that vector and the one you just generated might not form a linearly independent set of vectors. In any case, you'll never get more than 4 vectors for a linearly independent set (with n = 4).

The same limitation exists for higher dimension vectors. If n = 25, you won't be able to get more than 25 vectors in your matrix.

Maybe you know all this, but since I don't know your mathematical background, I felt I should mention it.
So, if I have 10 as my vector length, I should be able to get at least 9 linearly independent vectors, right? I'm currently using +1's and -1's as my binary values.

What I'm doing at present is adding one vector at a time to my existing matrix using a random number generator (my random numbers are between 0 and 1, so I made anything lesser than 0.5 a -1, and the rest are +1's.) Should I change my random number generator, or would it be a better idea to ignore a dependent vector and generate a new vector in its place?

Thanks for the reply

Why do you have -1 entries in your vectors? There's nothing wrong with it, but when most people think binary, they think 0 and 1. Having a 0 instead of a -1 might make the calculations easier.

If your vectors are length 10, you should be able to come up with 10 lin. independent vectors.

What I would do is generate a vector, and then figure out if that vector and the ones I already had form a linearly independent set.

I don't know any good algorithms for that, but at each step (with N vectors, where 2 <= N <= 10), you need to solve N equations for N unknowns. If the only solution is c1 = c2 = ... = cN = 0, then the vectors are linearly independent.

If the vector I just came up with turned out to be a linear combination of the others (hence the set of vectors is now linearly dependent) I would discard it, and try again.

Mark44 said:
Why do you have -1 entries in your vectors? There's nothing wrong with it, but when most people think binary, they think 0 and 1. Having a 0 instead of a -1 might make the calculations easier.

I'm using -1's as they are more convenient than zeros for my further calculations.

What I would do is generate a vector, and then figure out if that vector and the ones I already had form a linearly independent set.

I have been trying to do that. As I generate each vector, I'm checking its projection with the previous vectors. If it's in the same direction as any of those, then I get a projection value of 0, and hence it will be linearly dependent. Hope I'm right in doing it this way.

If the vector I just came up with turned out to be a linear combination of the others (hence the set of vectors is now linearly dependent) I would discard it, and try again.
This is what I'm trying to do now.

Thanks again for your patience.

(P.S. I'm still fairly new to Fortran, so am having some trouble finding my way around)

I figured it out. Thanks

1. How do I generate random vectors in Fortran?

To generate random vectors in Fortran, you can use the RANDOM_NUMBER subroutine. This subroutine allows you to specify the size and type of the vector as well as the range of values that you want to generate. You can also use the RANDOM_SEED subroutine to initialize the random number generator before calling RANDOM_NUMBER.

2. How can I ensure that the random vectors have binary values?

In Fortran, you can use the IAND function to convert the randomly generated real numbers into binary values. This function performs a bitwise AND operation on the real number and a mask, which results in a binary value. You can also use the ISHFT function to shift the bits in the binary value to the right or left to achieve the desired range of values.

3. Can I generate a vector with a specific number of elements?

Yes, you can specify the size of the vector in the RANDOM_NUMBER subroutine. You can also use the SIZE function to get the size of the vector and then use a DO loop to generate the desired number of elements.

4. How do I control the range of values for the random vectors?

The RANDOM_NUMBER subroutine allows you to specify the range of values by providing the lower and upper bounds. You can also use the RANDOM_SEED subroutine to set the seed for the random number generator, which can help you achieve a specific range of values.

5. Can I generate random vectors with both positive and negative binary values?

Yes, you can use the RANDOM_NUMBER subroutine to generate real numbers within a specified range and then use the IAND function to convert them into binary values. By setting the appropriate mask, you can generate both positive and negative binary values in the vector.