Is Paying for Anti-Virus Software Worth It?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the four free programs studied had very small differences in performance. The main difference that pay programs offer is complete packages including firewall and anti-spam. There is no advantage to buying anything over free programs, unless you need the security package deals.
mathman
Science Advisor
The latest issue of Consumer Reports has a discussion of anti-virus software (free and pay). Between free and pay there isn't any significant difference in performance between the four free programs and the better pay programs. The main thing that pay programs offer are complete packages including firewall and anti-spam. Since you can get free firewall and anti-spam separately, there seems to be no advantage to buying anything.

The four free packages studied (in rating order) were Avira, AVG, Avast, and Microsoft security essentials. However the differences were quite small.

Computer science news on Phys.org
mathman said:
The latest issue of Consumer Reports has a discussion of anti-virus software (free and pay). Between free and pay there isn't any significant difference in performance between the four free programs and the better pay programs. The main thing that pay programs offer are complete packages including firewall and anti-spam. Since you can get free firewall and anti-spam separately, there seems to be no advantage to buying anything.

The four free packages studied (in rating order) were Avira, AVG, Avast, and Microsoft security essentials. However the differences were quite small.

I'd agree. I used all four and only use AVG because I'm most used to it. The security package deals really aren't needed. AVG Free + MS Firewall + behind a router, will sufficiently protect 99% of responsible users.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'd agree. I used all four and only use AVG because I'm most used to it. The security package deals really aren't needed. AVG Free + MS Firewall + behind a router, will sufficiently protect 99% of responsible users.

I prefer AVG also among the first three. The main reason is that it has two features (schedules sweeps and e-mail check) while the other two each have only one (Avira has scheduled sweeps and Avast has e-mail check). I have never tried the Microsoft security.

A specific "email checking" option is probably a historical left-over now. Since MS provided an programming interface with a clean way to get access to email attachments just the same as any other files on disk, any half reasonable anti virus program should scan them anyway without needing a special options.

Of course clicking on links in an "unknown" email is a different issue, but it's rather hard for any software to fix user stupidity, only the consequences of it after the event!

Rumor has it that the equivalent of MSE will be bundled with Windows 8. I believe it would have been bundled with earlier versions of windows, except the other anti-virus companies started howling about anti-competitive busness practices.

Alternatively:

linux_user_at_best_buy.png

:biggrin:

What is "anti-virus software ratings"?

"Anti-virus software ratings" refer to the evaluation and ranking of different anti-virus software programs based on their effectiveness in protecting against and removing computer viruses and other malicious software.

How are "anti-virus software ratings" determined?

Anti-virus software ratings are typically determined by independent organizations or testing labs that use various methods to evaluate the performance, features, and user-friendliness of different anti-virus programs. These ratings may also take into account factors such as customer reviews and market share.

Why are "anti-virus software ratings" important?

Anti-virus software ratings can help individuals and organizations make informed decisions when choosing an anti-virus program for their devices. They provide a way to compare and contrast different options and choose the most effective one for their specific needs.

What are some common criteria used in "anti-virus software ratings"?

Some common criteria used in anti-virus software ratings include malware detection and removal rates, system impact, user interface, and additional features such as firewall and parental controls.

How can I find and access "anti-virus software ratings"?

Anti-virus software ratings can be found online through various websites and publications that specialize in technology and security reviews. Many anti-virus software providers also publish their own ratings and comparisons to other programs on their websites.