How Does Phase Shift Affect a Cosine Wave in Trigonometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to advance a cosine function by 90 degrees and there is confusion about how this affects the phase of the waveform. It is clarified that the two methods mentioned result in different translations of the wave.
Rudibot
I'm a bit rusty..

I have a cosine
y = cos(2*pi*f*t)
If I want to advance the cosine by say 90 degrees
y = cos(2*pi*f*t + pi/2)

but..
this waveform has f cycles per 2*pi*t..so won't I be advancing the phase by f*pi/2?
someone pls straigthen me out - I'm working with Matlab indexes and I'm getting confused!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rudibot said:
I'm a bit rusty..

I have a cosine
y = cos(2*pi*f*t)
If I want to advance the cosine by say 90 degrees
y = cos(2*pi*f*t + pi/2)

but..
this waveform has f cycles per 2*pi*t..so won't I be advancing the phase by f*pi/2?
someone pls straigthen me out - I'm working with Matlab indexes and I'm getting confused!

I'm not really sure what're you asking, but [itex]\,\,\displaystyle{\cos \left(\alpha+\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=-\sin (\alpha)}\,\,[/itex]

DonAntonio

cos(2*piZ*f*t+ pi/2) is different from cos(2*pi*f(t+ pi/2)). The first just translates the wave by pi/2, the second translates by pi^2*f.

What is a basic trigonometric phase?

A basic trigonometric phase is the position of an object or wave relative to a reference point on a trigonometric graph. It is measured in degrees or radians and is used to determine the amplitude and frequency of a wave.

What are the three basic trigonometric functions?

The three basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the ratios of sides in a right triangle and can also be applied to other types of angles and shapes.

How do you use the unit circle to solve trigonometric phase problems?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 and is used to represent the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for different angles. By using the unit circle, you can easily calculate the phase of a trigonometric function by finding the corresponding angle and its value on the unit circle.

What is the difference between phase and amplitude in trigonometry?

Phase and amplitude are two different properties of a trigonometric function. Phase refers to the position of the wave or object on the graph, while amplitude refers to the height or magnitude of the wave or object. They are both important in determining the characteristics of a trigonometric function.

Can you use trigonometry to solve real-world problems?

Yes, trigonometry is used in many real-world applications such as architecture, engineering, navigation, and astronomy. It can be used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in various scenarios, making it a useful tool in many industries.