Finding attenuation, phase constant, and velocity

In summary, the material has a conductivity of σ and a wavelength of λ naught in free space. Using some big hairy equations, alpha was found to be equal to 9.53 nepers/m, and the part I am having trouble with is the beta part. The equation to solve for beta is gamma= alpha+jbeta. Using alpha and mu from the equation, beta was found to be 22.976.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Find the attenuation constant alpha, phase constant β, and phase velocity v if the conductivity of the material is σ=ωε the material parameters are μr=1, εr =2.5, and the wavelength in free space is λ naught = 30cm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So using some big hairy equations I found alpha to be equal to 9.53 nepers/m. The part I am having trouble with is the beta part? I start out using this equation β=sqrt((με/2)(1+sqrt(1+(σ/ωε)^2))). I have tried a ton of different ways to arrive at this equation β=(ω/c)(sqrt(εr))(sqrt((1+sqrt(2))/(2))) what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't reproduce your equations, sorry.

If we assume an E wave polarized in the y direction (propagation along x direction), the y component of E is

Ey = Emexp(jωt +/-Γx)
where Em = constant and
Γ is a (very!) complex number including ω, μ, ε, and σ. I leave it to you to obtain or derive this relationship. It will be in your textbook somewhere I'm sure.

Then, Γ = α + jβ so the answer to your problem is the imaginary part of Γ.

I went through it using the gamma equation I found in my book gamma= alpha+jbeta and then jomega(sqrt(mu(epsilon)))(1-j(sigma/((omega)(epsilon)))) once I had gamma I uses gamm=alpha+jbeta and found for beta using alpha I got 22.976

I used mu=4pix10^-7 and epsilon=8.85e-12

DODGEVIPER13 said:
I went through it using the gamma equation I found in my book gamma= alpha+jbeta and then jomega(sqrt(mu(epsilon)))(1-j(sigma/((omega)(epsilon)))) once I had gamma I uses gamm=alpha+jbeta and found for beta using alpha I got 22.976

You have the right equation for Gamma.

You don't need alpha to get beta. Alpha is the real part of Gamma and beta is the imaginary part.

I did not check your numbers. What did you wind up with for alpha and beta in terms of omega, epsion, mu, sigma?

1. What is attenuation and why is it important in finding phase constant and velocity?

Attenuation is the gradual loss of energy of a wave as it travels through a medium. It is important in finding phase constant and velocity because it affects the amplitude and speed of the wave, which are key factors in determining these values.

2. How is attenuation measured and expressed?

Attenuation is typically measured in decibels (dB) and expressed as a ratio of the initial energy of the wave to the energy at a certain distance or depth. This can be calculated using the formula: attenuation (dB) = 10 * log (initial energy / final energy).

3. What is phase constant and how does it relate to attenuation?

Phase constant is a measure of the shift in the phase of a wave as it travels through a medium. It is directly related to attenuation, as a higher attenuation means a larger phase shift. This is because attenuation causes a decrease in the amplitude of the wave, resulting in a change in the phase.

4. How do you find the velocity of a wave using attenuation and phase constant?

The velocity of a wave can be calculated using the formula: velocity = frequency / (2 * pi * phase constant). Attenuation can also be used to determine the velocity, as it is directly related to the wavelength of the wave. A higher attenuation means a shorter wavelength and therefore a higher velocity.

5. What are some methods for finding attenuation, phase constant, and velocity?

There are a few different methods for finding these values, including using a wave tank or laboratory experiments, performing field measurements using specialized equipment, or using computer simulations and modeling techniques. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the specific research or application needs.