Designing a headphone with customizable functions

In summary: Right now it's more of a research project.In summary, you would need a USB sound card, a custom driver and processor, and possibly an LCD screen.
victor91
Hey guys, I have a question
I am currently doing a project, which pretty much I've wanted to design a headphone with some customizable functions. I've posted a picture, just to help you guys picture more or less what I wanted to do (but it's not the actual design at all)

What I wanted to do is to have multiple customizable functions:

1 - To display the album cover of the music that I am listening to in a screen located on the headphone. If possible, with led lights that would change accordingly to the album cover colors (i.e. just like itunes interface changes color depending of the album you are listening)
2 - Or to display the music frequency
3 - Or simply display the name of the music that you are listening
4 - Or, if you turn it off, it will only display the logo of the headphone on the sides

* I also want to keep in mind that I wanted to show in a "round" shape display, so I'd need to program to turn off the sides of the screen (i.e. nest thermostat)

So, my question is how can (should) I get started? Haha... is it too unrealistic? Too hard to program? Too much wires to fit into my headphone? (I can sacrifice the led aspect btw)

In addition, can someone tell me what do I need to buy? What kind of led/lcd screen should I buy? What kind of wires etc? Because, I could buy it everything first and then look for help to a person to help program it.

Apologize for my bad grammar, and probably for a lot of dumb questions. Sigh.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 2.26.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 2.26.37 AM.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 510
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's very ambitious but not impossible. All the hardware you need is avaiable for purchase. You can get a small lcd and a processor. Putting it together and making it small will be hard. Without a doubt you'll have to do some PCB designing to make something that fits into a headphone.

PCB's are not impossible. I've taught myself to do it and have made some successful projects. Eagle CAD and DesignSpark are two free programs that you can use to make gerber files for PCB's. You can get good quality low cost (<$30 for ten) custom PCB's from Itead Studio in Hong Kong.

The hardware side is going to be hard enough but the programming is going to be the bullwark of your project. How do you intend to get artist and album info from the songs? Is this a bluetooth device or does it plug into an audio jack? Is it going to interface somehow with popular libraries like Itunes or Zune?

You may want to start with a simple development board. They make boards that can interface with LCD screeens, audio jacks, bluetooth, and so on. The dev board will be much too big for your headphone but it will serve as a platform to test your software. You can study the board to learn how to implement the hardware too.

Ambitious project.

Doing this with the 3.5mm jack is difficult. It supplies no power (so you need batteries) and it has no data path (so you need a USB, Serial, or bluetooth data path)

For a 1-connector solution you would need to build a USB sound card with bulk data capability. I'd start by understanding the IC's that make a USB sound card possible. Sound cards follow the USB Audio specification, so the basic features require no drivers. But you would need a custom driver and processor to handle the data and display.

Chips like the http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Atmel PDFs/AT43USB370.pdf can handle the data, but then you have to build a USB audio system (not simple) (there are other USB processor chips, like the cypress FX2, etc)

Chips like the http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm2912a.pdf can do the Audio, but not the data.

There are chips that do both, but I don't think they are readily available (like the cmedia CM6571) and certainly not trivial to program.

Turns out you can receive the data you want over the USB HID interface. The trick is to find a processor with USB audio interface that can access the HID data and control a display. If you are interested in this method, I can look into it a bit.

Doing what you want in a viable way is not trivial. That's why there are not a bunch of these devices on the market. Over the next couple years, as digital audio headphones become a reality, you will see these sorts of features.

Hi there,

Designing a headphone with customizable functions is definitely a unique and innovative idea! It may seem daunting at first, but with the right approach, it is definitely achievable. Here are some suggestions on how you can get started:

1. Define your goals and prioritize your functions: Before diving into the technical aspects, it is important to clearly define what you want your headphone to do. From your description, it seems like you have four main functions in mind. It would be helpful to prioritize these functions and determine which ones are essential and which ones are optional.

2. Research and gather materials: Once you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve, you can start researching the materials you will need. This may include an LED/LCD screen, wires, microcontroller, and other electronic components. It would be helpful to consult with an electronics store or an experienced individual to ensure you are purchasing the correct materials for your project.

3. Design the hardware: Once you have all the necessary materials, you can start designing the physical aspects of your headphone. This may include creating a 3D model or a prototype to test the placement of the screen and other components.

4. Program the functions: This is where the coding aspect comes in. Depending on your level of expertise, you can either learn how to code the functions yourself or enlist the help of a programmer. It would be helpful to break down each function into smaller tasks and tackle them one at a time.

5. Test and refine: Once you have a working prototype, it is important to test it and make any necessary adjustments. This will help ensure that your headphone functions as intended and that all the components work together seamlessly.

In terms of the LED/LCD screen, it would be best to consult with a store or an expert to determine the best type and size for your project. As for wires, it would depend on the specific components you are using and the design of your headphone.

Overall, designing a headphone with customizable functions may be challenging, but it is definitely not unrealistic. With proper research, planning, and execution, you can turn your idea into a reality. Good luck with your project!

What are the key factors to consider when designing a headphone with customizable functions?

When designing a headphone with customizable functions, it is important to consider factors such as the target audience, the purpose of the headphones, the level of customization desired, the technology and components used, and the overall design and aesthetics of the headphones.

What are the potential benefits of having customizable functions in headphones?

Having customizable functions in headphones can provide a more personalized listening experience, allowing users to adjust the sound and features to their preferences. It can also cater to different needs and purposes, such as noise-cancellation for travel or enhanced bass for music listening.

What are some common customizable functions found in headphones?

Some common customizable functions found in headphones include adjustable sound settings, noise-cancellation, equalizer controls, voice assistance, and gesture controls. Some high-end headphones also offer customizable physical features, such as interchangeable ear cups or headbands.

How do you balance functionality and design when creating customizable headphones?

Balancing functionality and design when creating customizable headphones requires careful consideration of the target audience and their needs. It is important to prioritize functionality and ensure that the customizable functions are user-friendly and enhance the overall listening experience. At the same time, the design should be visually appealing and reflect the brand's aesthetic.

What are some challenges in designing headphones with customizable functions?

One challenge in designing headphones with customizable functions is ensuring the technology and components used can support the desired functions without compromising the quality of sound. Another challenge is finding a balance between offering a wide range of customizable options and keeping the design and interface simple and intuitive for users. Additionally, designing for different preferences and needs of a diverse audience can also be challenging.