Looking for open source alternatives to popular math software?

In summary, Some open source alternatives to MatLab, Maple, and Mathematica are FreeMat, Octave, and Maxima. Maxima is best suited for replacing Mathematica and Maple, while Octave can be used as a replacement for Matlab. Maxima also offers CAS functionality, which Octave does not have.
FulhamFan3
Anyone know of any open source alternatives to MatLab, Maple, Mathematica, etc.?

Computer science news on Phys.org
FreeMat and Octave are two Matlab-ish programs that I've used.

octave is pretty good.

I created a thread awhile back dealing with the best math-related OSS available (in my opinion):

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=73462

Maxima is mostly written in LISP and it's possible to use TeXmacs or Emacs to view it's output in LaTeX. Take a look at some of the screenshots I made.

Maxima is best suited as a replacement for Mathematica and Maple as it's missing a few (many) features that Matlab offers.

I used octave not to long ago to do some control analysis. I'll have to check out maxima.

dduardo said:
I used octave not to long ago to do some control analysis. I'll have to check out maxima.

Octave is decent, but it doesn't have CAS functionality, like Maxima does. I would suggest that Octave be used as Matlab replacement.

1. What is open source math software?

Open source math software refers to computer programs that are free and accessible to the public, allowing users to view, modify, and distribute the source code. This means that anyone can use the software for any purpose, and the code can be modified and improved by a community of developers.

2. What are the benefits of using open source math software?

There are many benefits to using open source math software, including: cost-effectiveness, as it is free to use; flexibility and customization, as the source code can be modified to suit specific needs; reliability, as the software is constantly updated and improved by a community; and transparency, as the source code is openly available for anyone to view and audit.

3. What types of math can be done using open source math software?

Open source math software can handle a wide range of mathematical tasks, including basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and more. It can also be used for data analysis, graphing, and visualization.

4. What are some examples of open source math software?

Some popular examples of open source math software include GNU Octave, Maxima, GeoGebra, and R. These programs are commonly used in education, research, and industry, and have a wide range of features and capabilities.

5. Is open source math software suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

Yes, open source math software can be used by individuals with varying levels of math proficiency. Many programs offer user-friendly interfaces and tutorials for beginners, while also providing advanced features for more experienced users. Additionally, the open source community often provides support and resources for users of all skill levels.