How can someone achieve invisibility?

• Thread starter nomorevishnu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invisible
In summary, the conversation discusses various ideas and suggestions for making someone invisible. These include using an invisibility cloak, a complex video and optical system, and a special suit that manipulates light. There is also a mention of using a device that affects the mind of anyone looking in the direction of the invisible person. The possibility of genetic implantation is also brought up. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that true invisibility is not currently possible due to the speed of light and the limitations of the human body.
nomorevishnu
How can one be invisible??

I am working on a science fiction.I am sorry to open such a thread in the general physics section but i thought I could get the maximum possible logic from this section.Its about making someone invisible.What are the faintest possible ways to do that??Please give me some suggestions.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
By stealing Harry Potter's invisibility cloak.

A science fiction story? Go wild! We don't read SF novels to see how plausible something would be.

Vixus said:
A science fiction story? Go wild! We don't read SF novels to see how plausible something would be.

At least most of us...

You could use a special suit where, for each photon that hits it on one area it emits a similar photon in the opposite area according to the angle of incidence. So suppose that a photon hits your shoulder at a 45 degree angle, then it would calculate where that photon would come out if it continued in a straight path and generate a similar photon in that very area. This would give the impression that light was going through the person wearing the suit. If you work it well you can make it quite believable unlike the classic novel "The Invisible Man" where the main character becomes invisible by noting that most cells in the human body are invisible, or transparent and then "bleaching" the features of the body that are not, like the blood, the hair, the nails, etc. Not a very good argument :smile:, not a bad read though.

I like fantasy better than sci-fi; I'll stick to magical solutions to this problem.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi, it tends to be a little over the top, I'm not at all a fan of fantasy. My favorite genre is general fiction. If it's something that's too unbelievable then i can't enjoy it, i can't lie to myself.

To make something truly invisible you would need the light approaching the something from behind to exit the something in the front in exactly the same way (no obvious absorption, no deflection). At present there is no way to accomplish this, but for the hell of it imagine a full body suit with it's own oxygen supply that had a super computer, and its own power supply in it. The incident light at one angle is ideally fully absorbed in the suit and the suit takes ALL (360 degrees) of the incident light in, and without any delay, can translate the light signals and reemit light from the suit on the opposite side in real time in all possible directions.

The problem (among many, but I see this as the main road block) is that light travels at the fastest speed known. It might be possible, for example, to design such a suit that transmitted sound waves "through" the body without percievably deflecting them (because sound moves at 340 m/s at typical temperatures), but light moving at 3x10^8 m/s? No super computer in the world at present could process light signals and reemit them at a speed comparable to the speed of light with no significant delay (maybe you wouldn't need to go that fast in order to trick the human senses, but at the same time any flaw in the suit would reveal your presence and so you probably wouldn't appear completely invisible).

Last edited:
There's one thing about it that has always bothered me. I mentioned it several months ago in a similar thread, but there was no response. Some feedback would be appreciated. I seem to be the only person on the planet who thinks that an invisible person would be blind. If your retinae are invisible, light can't interact with them, and therefore there would be no visual stimuli.

A truly invisble person wouldn't be able to see. However a visible person wearing an invisibility device (sounds pretty outrageous) could be able to see. There's a number of ways i can think so that this would be "possible". Of all the challenges that's not the hardest one to overcome.

Yeah, I agree that a device of some sort would allow vision. It's the mutated, or chemically altered, or whatever type of SF character that I'm referring to. eg: Sue Storm from Fantatstic 4, DC Comics' The Invisible Kid, etc..

Well.Danger,I know that an invisible person can't see.Because his retina wouldn't be able to reflect the rays.But is it possible in a way that some sort of genitical implantation is done and in such a way that the person can actually see everything.I am not talking about any kinda wonder drug.But something that can be implanted inside the human body rather than outside(just like the invisibility cloaks u all have been talking about.I don't want those).
Any ideas on these lines??It would be really great if some of you could still contribute to this thread!

Switch Of The Light! Ha!ha!

I think the best way to become invisible is to affect the mind of anyone in the vicinity such that they cannot focus their attention on you. In a sci-fi novel this could be accomplished by having the "invisible" person wearing some device that affects the "attention" circuits of the brains of anyone looking in his direction. You might propose that device to be ultrasonic or electromagnetic. It might be a kind of helmet with omnidirectional sensors that are specifically dedicated to recognise when two eyes are focused in it's direction, whereupon it sends the jamming signal back to this target.

I've often had the experience of not being able to see something that is pretty much in plain sight, and I think this is due to some temporary inability to process a "recognition" of it. It's occurred to me once or twice that there might be a way to induce this in other people. I've read claims it can be done with hypnosis, but that wouldn't be practical for someone who wanted to walk around invisible to any and all he encountered. It probably can't be done with any device, either, but that's not a problem in science fiction.

zoobyshoe said:
I think the best way to become invisible is to affect the mind of anyone in the vicinity such that they cannot focus their attention on you.

Could it be that you have read "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" a bit too often? This reminds me very strongly of a SEP, a "somebody else's problem". It sounds sort of impossible to me though, especially when hidng something as big as a human being. After all, humans are "large stupid folk like you and me [who] come blustering along, making a noise like elephants which [hobbits] can hear a mile off", as J.R.R. Tolkien put it so nicely. We affect everything near, such as sand an the table you just bumped into. It would be very hard to hide that too.

nazgjunk said:
Could it be that you have read "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" a bit too often?
I've never read it.
This reminds me very strongly of a SEP, a "somebody else's problem". It sounds sort of impossible to me though, especially when hidng something as big as a human being.
If you're unable to focus your attention on something it's size is irrelevant. The basic notion is as firmly grounded in neurology as the other ideas are in physics. There are dedicated circuits in the brain for recognition and they do break down in specific kinds of brain damage such that people can no longer recognise faces or words or sounds. This is called agnosia. There is a very famous book called The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat which is a collection of case studies of people with various neurological disorders. The title story is about a man who has become unable to recognise the physical appearance of anything despite the fact there is nothing the matter with the physical apparatus of his eyes. The problem is in his brain where the visual information is processed.
After all, humans are "large stupid folk like you and me [who] come blustering along, making a noise like elephants which [hobbits] can hear a mile off", as J.R.R. Tolkien put it so nicely. We affect everything near, such as sand an the table you just bumped into. It would be very hard to hide that too.
I'm not sure why you pick my suggestion out to mention this because all the suggestions have the very same limitation. An invisibility suit isn't going to cover the sounds you make.

Great idea, zoobyshoe, however that's just what the spirit magic spell "Invisibility" (3p, active) does in RuneQuest, 3rd edition.

Zoob's idea was the basis for 'The Shadow' back in the 30's (or thereabouts)... 'the ability to cloud men's minds'. Unfortunately, that was before the advent of security cameras.
Sound will always be a problem, as will infrared signatures. Since those are radiated phenomena rather than reflected, your 'suit' or whatever would have to retain heat. I have no idea how you can mask the sounds that you make, unless you just move very carefully.

This may be a bit futuristic but is this feasible

How about if the skin/surface of the thing that you wish to cloak is made from millions of microscopic optical fibres that are feed the light/image of the opposite side.

In the end all they have to do is reproduce colour. so if there were two types of fibres all mixed together and half of the fibres were sending the surrounding image of their side to the opposite side, and the other half were receiving the surrounding image from the other side it would be like a chameleon

would it work

Last edited:
Uhm, but you still need to position those fibres somehow... fibres have thickness...

/me is NOT contructive, no.

ukmicky said:
This may be a bit futuristic but is this feasible
How about if the skin/surface of the thing that you wish to cloak is made from millions of microscopic optical fibres that are feed the light/image of the opposite side.
In the end all they have to do is reproduce colour. so if there were two types of fibres all mixed together and half of the fibres were sending the surrounding image of their side to the opposite side, and the other half were receiving the surrounding image from the other side it would be like a chameleon
would it work
I'm sorry sir, but post 6, and post 3 already offered that explanation. Nice idea though.

let us go to the micro level and even to the atomic level... the atoms are invisible and so are the molecules ...let us assume it is due to size ... then what is transparency and why does some appear translucent and some appear opaque ... I think there lies ur answer for ur quiery

arildno said:
Great idea, zoobyshoe, however that's just what the spirit magic spell "Invisibility" (3p, active) does in RuneQuest, 3rd edition.
What's "RuneQuest"? A videogame? If it's a magic spell it's already something different than science fiction.
Danger said:
Zoob's idea was the basis for 'The Shadow' back in the 30's (or thereabouts)... 'the ability to cloud men's minds'.
I'm not familiar with it, but I'm going to guess this is some kind of superhero power he had, and not the same kind of thing I suggested. I took the OP to be asking for a scientifically plausible means of becoming invisible for science fiction purposes.

The X-Files had at least two characters who escaped detection by ninja-like force of will. One, they speculated, was manipulating the viewer to look at him such that he was always placed in the blind spot. That was kind of ludicrous since we only have a blind spot in one eye. The other "disappeared" by "willing" the others to see him as someone else. This character had the ability to affect video tape the same way: he could impress the alternate appearance on security camera footage. All not science fiction, but essentially magic.

My suggestion was not a magic spell or "force of will" sort of thing at all.

Last edited:
RuneQuest is the best role-playing game in the world, devised by Chaosium Inc., and then mistreated by Avalon Hill.

Zoob! How could you not be aware of 'The Shadow'. It was a huge pulp magazine and radio series, and there was even a movie remake in '94 with Alec Baldwin in the lead. See http://www.spaceports.com/~deshadow/" for a brief account.
Anyhow, I wasn't proposing it as a plausible approach; just pointing out the similarity.
I suppose you could take the approach of 'The Flash' or 'Superman'. If you don't mind burning to a crisp or dying of old age in a few hours, you could accelerate your molecular motion to the point where the eye can't follow you. Of course, you'd also have to eat constantly and carry a high-flow oxygen system (which would explode, incidentally). :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
Zoob! How could you not be aware of 'The Shadow'.
I'm aware of it, just not familiar with it: never seen it and don't know any details.

Hey, I may be a little late into the discussion, and I haven't read all the posts, but I have a suggestion. This invisibility cloak could have these properties:

1) light will come to one side of the cloak, be converted into some form of energy, say 'A' energy, go straight through the user, and be reconverted to light as it passes through the cloak on its way out.

2) no light from the inside of the cloak will escape.

3) No 'A' energy from outside the cloak will enter the cloak

4) this cloak is not reversible, as the two sides have different properties

5) light will be allowed to enter the cloak along with its 'A' energy counterpart, so that the user can see what is outside

6) 'A' energy will be allowed to exit the cloak along with its light counterpart, so that if overlapping of the cloak occurs, there will be no black spots

Major setbacks:

1) we need to find a type of energy that won't harm the human body AND pass through it.

2) we need to find material to convert light to this energy type and back again.

and one problem, the user will look like a black body when viewed from above, since the bottom is open and thus, there is no 'A' energy coming from the bottom, so the top will emit no light upwards.

This problem can be solved with an invisibility suit, which has 360-degree coverage, including shoes.

Last edited:
Danger said:
I suppose you could take the approach of 'The Flash' or 'Superman'. If you don't mind burning to a crisp or dying of old age in a few hours, you could accelerate your molecular motion to the point where the eye can't follow you. Of course, you'd also have to eat constantly and carry a high-flow oxygen system (which would explode, incidentally). :rolleyes:
This is a problem that never occurred to me in connection with various shows that have the premise of a person speeding themself up beyond other's ability to see them. (The original Star Trek used this once). I wonder if we figured out the slowest speed a person could go and still be faster than the mind's ability to process the information if it would be fast enough to cause burning by friction with the air. The brain "samples" the visual field at about 15 times a second, from what I've read. How much those samples have to overlap to form an image I'm not sure about. I do know that we go completely blind briefly all the time when we're are shifting our field of vision. During the split second in which you shift from the end of one line of this text to the beginning of the next, for instance, you are blind.

I just though of another possible problem, which is that, even if you didn't burn up, there's a good chance you'd be supersonic and creating sonic booms by just walking down the street.

There's also the question of how much horsepower a dude would have to generate to get his mass moving. All of those speedsters in the comics and movies seem to have almost instantaneous acceleration.
There's one statement you made that should be clarified in case someone takes it the wrong way. Both eyes have blind spots, but they don't coincide.

Danger said:
There's also the question of how much horsepower a dude would have to generate to get his mass moving. All of those speedsters in the comics and movies seem to have almost instantaneous acceleration.
There's one statement you made that should be clarified in case someone takes it the wrong way. Both eyes have blind spots, but they don't coincide.

They are comics, please. Ever saw the full DragonBall Z series? It is as unrealistic as hell, but those guys go fast, without aging. OF COURSE it's not realistic.

I'm quite aware of that, nazgjunk; therein lies the difference between fantasy and science fiction. What we're trying to do here (even though it got off topic), is find an invisibility device that doesn't violate physical laws. A discussion of various approaches is appropriate.

Kool...I am overwhelmed with the kinda response i have got.But inmy second post I had asked for some technique that would allow a person to intake something and then be invisible.I mean nothing external.Like a drug or injection or anything of those sorts.Immediately my mind can't think of anything in those lines that provides logic...but some vague ideas?I m looking forward to it!
Thanx

Okay, Nomore... something just whapped me upside the brain here, but I'm going way outside the box. You never specified if this character has to be human.
If not, what about maybe a silicon-based lifeform that can control its index of refraction?

Oh it is ofcourse human...Thats where the fun always is...
So Mr.Funniest Member...hope something better whaps up...u or me...
Something that can make a human go invisible ok guys?
And it should be internal...not a cloak...Please...i will ofcourse post my idea if something strikes me!