Understanding Momentum: Solving Problems with the FT=MV Formula

• Thread starter Zuloft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses using the FT=MV formula to solve three problems related to collisions and force. The first problem involves calculating the force of impact between two football players, the second problem requires finding the duration of contact between a golf ball and a club, and the third problem involves determining the force needed to change the velocity of a baseball. The formula F=\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta t} is confirmed to be suitable for all three problems.
Zuloft
i have 3 problems for homework and I am stomped. i don't know if the way I am solving the problem is right. I am using the FT=MV forumla for all 3 problems.

1) a football player of mass 120 kg is traveling at 20 m/s collides with another player and comes to rest in 1.5 s. what is the force of impact?

2) a golf ball of mass 0.050 kg acqyuires a speed of 80 m/s when hit with a force of 3.0 x 10 ^3 n. how long was the club in contact with the ball

3) what force acting for 1.36 x 10 ^-3 will change the velocity of a 95 g baseball from 50.0 m/s east to 45 m/s west?

thanks!? but i just need confirmation on what formula to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
just to clarify when you say FT=MV you do mean [tex]Ft=M\Delta V[/tex]?

correct i couldn't find the delta symbol

Yeah, using [tex]F=\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta t}[/tex] will work for all three.

https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/88/884080-0.png

can i use that though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Zuloft said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/88/884080-0.png
can i use that though?
There isn't any difference between them, other than algebra manipulatioon. [tex]\Delta P = m \Delta v[/tex] since mv is the definition of momentum, and mass is a constant.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. How is momentum related to an object's mass and velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity. This means that as either the mass or velocity increases, the momentum also increases.

3. Is momentum a vector or scalar quantity?

Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of momentum is the same as the direction of the object's velocity.

4. What are the units of momentum?

The units of momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s). This is derived from the units of mass (kg) and velocity (m/s).

5. How is the law of conservation of momentum applied in real-world scenarios?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This law is applied in various real-world situations, such as collisions between objects and rocket propulsion.