Find (x,y) of a Point on an Ellipse Given Foci and Radii Info

In summary, there are two equations that can be used to find the (x,y) coordinates of a point on an ellipse given the (x,y) coordinates of the foci and the sum of the radii from the foci. The first equation involves finding the distance between the foci and using that to calculate the values of a and b, which are then used to find the coordinates of the point. The second equation is based on a right triangle with both foci as points and the distance between them as the hypotenuse, and can be used to find the second radius. However, further calculations may be needed to account for the angle of the major axis.
Crusty
expressing points on an ellipse given the (x,y) of the foci and the sum of the radii

Given the (x,y) of the 2 foci of an ellipse,
and the sum of the radii from the foci,

Is there an equation that will find the (x,y) of a point on the ellipse at a specified angle?

Is there an equation to find the (x,y) given one radius' length from a specified focus?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The total distance from a point on an ellipse to the two foci is always the same. I assume that by "sum of the radii from the foci" you mean that number. Imagine an ellipse in "standard position" (center at (0,0), major and minor axes on the x and y axes) with vertices at (a,0),(-a,0),(0,b),(0,-b) and foci at (c,0), (-c,0). Then the line from the point (0,b) to (c,0) is the hypotenuse of a right triangle with legs of length b and c. The distance from (0,b) to (c,0) is [itex]\sqrt{b^2+ c^2}[/itex] and so the total distance from (0,b) to both foci is [itex]2\sqrt{b^2+ c^2}[/itex].

The disance from the focus (c,0) to the point (a, 0) is a- c, of course, and the distance from the focus (-c,0) to the point (a,0) is a-(-c)= a+ c. The total distance is (a- c)+ (a+ c)= 2a.

Since those two total distances must be the same [itex]2a= 2\sqrt{b^2+ c^2} or a2= b2+ c2.

Thus if you are given the (x,y) coordinates of the foci, c is half the distance between them. If you are also given the total distance from each point on the ellipse to the foci, a is half that distance and b can be calculated from formula above.

You will still need to account for the angle the major axis makes with the x-axis but that is just the arctan of the slope of the line through the two foci.

Thanks
That's good. I think I was just before that point of trying those known points on the ellipse with right triangles. Sounds correct. Is there a math word for sum of radii in an ellipse?

The method you show should work and I may use it in the end. But I was checking another method too. I'll finish checking this one myself later when I have more time, but in the mean time if you catch this would you mind correcting it?

2nd radius = ( sqrt( (distance between foci)^2 + ( (sum of radii) - (2nd radius) )^2 )

um, how do you get the 2 instancies of (2nd radius) to the same side of the equation?

2nd radius = ( (distance between foci) / (sum of radii) + (sum of radii)
) / 2

arg those two (sum of radii) don't look right...

It was based on a right triangle with both foci as points and the right angle at the 1st focus, rather than at the mid point. So if it works for that, I'd still need to check if it would work for other angles...

Last edited:

1. How do you find the coordinates of a point on an ellipse?

To find the coordinates of a point on an ellipse, you will need to know the foci and radii information. From there, you can use the equation (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse, a is the semi-major axis, and b is the semi-minor axis. Substituting the values of the foci and radii into this equation will give you the coordinates of the point on the ellipse.

2. What is the significance of foci and radii information in finding a point on an ellipse?

Foci and radii information are essential in finding a point on an ellipse because they determine the shape and size of the ellipse. The foci are the two fixed points inside the ellipse that define its shape, while the radii represent the distance from the center of the ellipse to any point on the edge. By using this information, we can calculate the coordinates of any point on the ellipse.

3. Can you find the coordinates of any point on an ellipse with just the foci and radii information?

Yes, you can find the coordinates of any point on an ellipse with just the foci and radii information. As mentioned earlier, the equation (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1 can be used to find the coordinates of any point on the ellipse. If you have the foci and radii information, you can substitute these values into the equation to determine the coordinates of the point on the ellipse.

4. How many points can be found on an ellipse with the given foci and radii information?

An infinite number of points can be found on an ellipse with the given foci and radii information. This is because an ellipse is a continuous curve, and any point on the curve can be defined by its coordinates. As long as you have the foci and radii information, you can find the coordinates of any point on the ellipse.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the coordinates of a point on an ellipse?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the coordinates of a point on an ellipse, such as using the parametric equations x = a*cos(t) and y = b*sin(t), where t is the angle between the line segment connecting the point to the center of the ellipse and the semi-major axis. Another method is to use the polar coordinates r = a*b/sqrt(a^2*sin^2(theta) + b^2*cos^2(theta)), where r is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the point and theta is the angle between the line segment connecting the point to the center of the ellipse and the x-axis. However, the most common and straightforward method is using the equation (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1 with the foci and radii information.