Proof for nonexistence of a prime counting function?

In summary, the hypothesis is false- there is no non-iterative function that will produce every prime from anyone given n.
Loren Booda
Do you know of an attempt to disprove the existence of a formula which predicts all prime numbers, as opposed to the accustomed attempt to derive one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what is meant by a formula that predicts all primes is a formula that gives the primes and finitely many composites ... preferably, zero of them. I have actually attempted to prove there can exist no such formula, but it depends on some theory of Fourier series that I'm not certain about. I think I remember hearing that if you have a periodic function with infinitely many discontinuities in one period, it's impossible to write a formula for the Fourier series that generates the function. It's pretty easy to find a few spots where
[tex] \sum_{p} \frac{\sin p}{p} [/tex]
is discontinuous. I haven't probed enough to determine whether all primes will create new discontinuities. But if they do, there will be an infinite number of discontinuities in a single period. Assuming what I think I remember hearing is correct, there should be no formula for predicting all primes.

Once again I ask, what *exactly* do you mean by a "formula" that you hope to prove none exist after I've provided a link that has more than one 'formula'?

From your post it looks like you mean to show you can't find a Fourier series that has no "formula" describing it's coefficients? Same question about 'formula' applies.

Here's a formula which 'predicts' the primes:

f(n)=p_n a function from N to N, p_n is the n'th prime. Never fails to hit a prime, hits all of them...

Of course, how you 'evaluate' that 'formula' is something else.

Thanks, shmoe.
There exist a variety of formulas for either producing the nth prime as a function of n or taking on only prime values. However, all such formulas require either extremely accurate knowledge of some unknown constant, or effectively require knowledge of the primes ahead of time in order to use the formula (Dudley 1969; Ribenboim 1996, p. 186). There also exist simple prime-generating polynomials that generate only primes for the first (possibly large) number of integer values.
Can one show that an evaluation generating any prime in "one step" (such as including the determination of an unknown constant or knowledge of all previous primes) is impossible, and that all one-step, finite prime generating polynomials are limited in their range of producing primes? I'm asking whether it is possible to disprove that there exists a one-step mathematical generator of all primes?

What counts as "one-step"?

The kind of simple prime generating polynomials they are talking about are things like x^2+x+41, which gives a prime for x=0,1,2,...39. You can prove polynomials like this cannot always be prime. You might want to look at:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Prime-GeneratingPolynomial.html

Shmoe, thanks again for your help.

I suppose "one-step" can be defined as "non-iterative" (like the polynomials you just referred me to).

Hypothesis: given n, we cannot find every prime p(n) from anyone such non-iterative function.

Loren Booda said:
Shmoe, thanks again for your help.

I suppose "one-step" can be defined as "non-iterative" (like the polynomials you just referred me to).

Hypothesis: given n, we cannot find every prime p(n) from anyone such non-iterative function.
So other than finite polynomials, what functions do you consider non-iterative?

I mean functions like sin and cos all use iterations to calculate them numerically, along with almost all other interesting ones.

Do you then take sums?

Zurtex said:
I mean functions like sin and cos all use iterations to calculate them numerically, along with almost all other interesting ones.
And, of course, evaluating polynomials, computing exponents, multiplying numbers, and even adding numbers require some sort of iteration or related concept.

Loren Booda said:
This hypothesis is false. I think you meant to say something like:

We cannot find a non-iterative function that, when given n, computes the prime p(n).

Last edited:
-there are lot,s of tricks to obtain the prime number counting function, firs of all the function [tex]\pi(e^{x}) [/tex] is the function which minimizes a certain functional J making [tex] \delta{J}=0 [/tex], a trial function then could be the "eljose,s Exponential integral" (i was just joking so don,t take it too seriously) in the form:

[tex] E_{i}(a,b,c,g,x)=\int_{-\infty}^{x}ge^{-at}/(t^{b}+c) [/tex]

where a,b,c and g are real constant chosen in a way that dJ[a,b,c,g]=0

another way is from beggining using the trial function Ei(x) use an interative method to obtain "corrections" to it...Newton,s method modified to include functionals imply the iteration process:

[tex]f_{n+1}=f_{n}-\frac{\delta{J[f_{n}]}{\delta\delta{J[f_{n}}[/tex]

where the "delta" here stands for first and second functional derivatives...with this we could obtain a certain number of approximations to the [tex]\pi(x) [/tex]

Last edited:
Hurkyl
We cannot find a non-iterative function that, when given n, computes the prime p(n).
To quote Charlie Brown: "That's it!"

I then have to ask what you mean by a "non-iterative" function? As Hurkyl points out even adding can be considered 'iterative', but I don't think you mean to exlude this.

There's no way anything can be proven about a class of functions that you cannot describe precisely.

I'll give it a try:

Iterative functions fn, fn+1, fn+2 ... can be described by fn+1=g[fn] where g represents a function.

You really appear to be confusing a function with an algorithm to evaluate that function.

Loren Booda said:
I'll give it a try:

Iterative functions fn, fn+1, fn+2 ... can be described by fn+1=g[fn] where g represents a function.
Given x + y = z

Then:

[tex]z_n = \frac{\left[ x *10^{n-1} \right] + \left[ y * 10^{n-1} \right]}{10^{n-1}} [/tex]

And the limit:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} z_n = z[/tex]

You can 'evaluate' edition this way, it doesn't make much sense to do so but it is a way of show addition can be described as an iterative procedure for [itex]x, y, z \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] in terms of adding numbers of integers, which themselves can be expressed as iterative procedures.

Last edited:
Let me attempt another approach.

Hypothesis: the most reduced function that generates all n primes, with n --> oo, has complexity approaching the most efficient process of factorization to ascertain those primes.

Loren Booda said:
Let me attempt another approach.

Hypothesis: the most reduced function that generates all n primes, with n --> oo, has complexity approaching the most efficient process of factorization to ascertain those primes.

This is false, it's not necessary to factor a number to determine if it is prime or not, and primality testing algorithms are faster than general factoring ones (though will usually search for small factors first).

Bleh, that's incredibly unclear. I really have no idea what you're saying. :frown:

So I'll throw out some facts and hope it's helpful.

Any algorithm that prints out the primes up to size N has time complexity at least pi(N) ~ N / log N.

We know of algorithms that can do it in time complexity ~ N / log log N.

This is much much better than the time it takes to test each number for primality, which would take time complexity ~ N (log N)^6.

This is much much much better than the time it would take to actually try and factor each number up to size N.

Your facts are indeed helpful. You addressed directly the (false) assertion I attempted to make.

I don't think we can categorize a function as iterative or non iterative. At least it wouldn't be helpful since every function can be rewritten in iterative form. In my opinion the difference between iterative and non-iterative functions is only in how they are presented. iterative form is used to let the reader become aware of a certain pattern, or for efficient use of space, or to represent functions composed of an infinite number of operations, but there is an equivalence between Iterative and Non-Iterative functions, if we were to make such a distinction.
I think what we mean by an iterative function here is one where the number of basic operations performed is a function of the input (not that these are equivalent), so what we're really asking is about the time complexity of a given function. What we'd want to know then is, for a function f(n) = nth-prime what is the minimum number of operations required, or, what is the minimum time-complexity. We know there is an f(n) with complexity O(n), linear amount of operations. What about constant? Is there an f(n) that requires only a constant c amount of operations? I would think not, but c can be arbitrarily large so it doesn't seem like a straightforward proof.

Last edited:
-Use variational calculus to obtain [tex] \pi(e^{t}) [/tex] :D :D :D

-Another question i think that it was matt who pointed that the prime generating function in the sense that:

[tex] a(n)=p_{n} [/tex] and [tex] a(n)=\sum_{p<n}f(n) [/tex]

What is a prime counting function?

A prime counting function, also known as a prime number theorem or prime number formula, is a mathematical function that counts the number of prime numbers below a given value.

Why is it difficult to prove the nonexistence of a prime counting function?

It is difficult to prove the nonexistence of a prime counting function because it requires showing that there is no possible formula or algorithm that can accurately count the number of prime numbers below a given value. This is a challenging task as there are infinite prime numbers and it is not known if there is a pattern or formula that can accurately predict their distribution.

What evidence suggests that a prime counting function may not exist?

One of the main pieces of evidence that suggests a prime counting function may not exist is the prime number theorem, which states that the number of prime numbers below a given value approaches infinity as the value increases. This suggests that there may not be a finite formula or algorithm that can accurately count the infinite number of prime numbers.

Can the nonexistence of a prime counting function ever be proven?

It is not currently known if the nonexistence of a prime counting function can be proven. Many mathematicians believe that it may not be possible to prove the nonexistence of a prime counting function, as it would require showing that there is no possible formula or algorithm that could accurately count all prime numbers.

What are some potential implications of proving the nonexistence of a prime counting function?

If the nonexistence of a prime counting function could be proven, it would have significant implications for number theory and mathematics as a whole. It would mean that there is no finite formula or algorithm that can accurately predict the distribution of prime numbers, which would greatly impact our understanding of mathematics and the natural world.