Dihydro Benzene is more polar than Dichloro benzene

In summary: I'm sorry you had a difficult time understanding the post. Can you provide more information about your background in chemistry?
konichiwa2x
Can someone explain why this is so or atleast nudge me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thoughts (whether in favor or opposing)?

well i have just now started learning chemical bonding so I am not very sure about the answer but anyway..
para-dichlorobenzene most probably doesn't have a dipole moment because of the oppositely positioned Chlorine atoms. Ortho and meta dichlorobenzene would definitely have a dipole moment(greater in the case of ortho). But I have no clue about dihydro-benzene. I don't even have any idea about its strucutre... Can you please help?:confused:

dihydrobenzene doesn't really contain benzene

NOTE: The post previously had 1,3 cyclohexadiene mislabeled as 1,2 cyclohexadiene. Mistake noted by Cesium.

dihydrobenzene comes in two forms. These are also known as:
1) 1,3 cyclohexadiene
and
2) 1,4 cyclohexadiene
(or if you wanted you could do the ortho,para naming)
but the key difference between these compounds and dichlorobenzene is that these, while still a derivative of benzene, do not have 3 alternating double bonds and are not aromatic.
If you are confused of the exact structure I found them at sigmaaldrich.com searching for dihydrobenzene.
The dipole moment of the 1,3 cyclohexadiene form makes sense considering the molecule is no longer symetrical (as in the para-dichlorobenzene or the 1,4 cyclohexadiene). As for the dipole moment of the 1,4 cyclohexadiene I really have no idea, it shouldn't have much, if any dipole moment.

Last edited:
What about 1,3-cyclohexadiene? It should have a dipole moment.

you are correct, It was my mistake, I mislabeled my first post. The 1,2 cyclohexadiene should read as 1,3 cyclohexadiene. When I was working the nomenclature out by hand (in attempt to answer your question) I had mistakenly used the numbers as the carbon positions where the hydrogen is attached, not the bond position. So YES, 1,3 cyclohexadiene has a dipole moment, I don't think 1,4 cyclohexadiene does. And I'll probably be corrected again, but I don't think 1,2 cyclohexadiene exists. Good call.

I agree with you. A quick search online (not the ultimate authority) does not show much for 1,2-cylcohexadiene. It seems as if it is only a reactive intermediate.

1. Why is Dihydro Benzene more polar than Dichloro benzene?

Dihydro Benzene is more polar than Dichloro benzene because it has a larger difference in electronegativity between the carbon and hydrogen atoms, making it more polarized.

2. How does the polarity of Dihydro Benzene and Dichloro benzene affect their chemical properties?

The higher polarity of Dihydro Benzene allows for stronger intermolecular forces, making it more soluble in polar solvents and giving it a higher boiling point compared to Dichloro benzene.

3. What causes the difference in polarity between Dihydro Benzene and Dichloro benzene?

The difference in polarity is caused by the presence of hydrogen atoms in Dihydro Benzene, which have a lower electronegativity than the chlorine atoms in Dichloro benzene.

4. How does the polarity of Dihydro Benzene and Dichloro benzene affect their reactivity?

The higher polarity of Dihydro Benzene makes it more reactive towards electrophiles, while the lower polarity of Dichloro benzene makes it less reactive.

5. Can the polarity of Dihydro Benzene and Dichloro benzene be altered?

Yes, the polarity of these molecules can be altered by substituting different functional groups onto the benzene ring, which can change the electronegativity and overall polarity of the molecule.