Is Using an iPod as a Primary Storage Device Safe?

• Thread starter peejake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary: Well you could use it, just if you never brought it anywhere, but that would be pretty stupid. I always keep mine in my pocket so i know its there, never in a backpack, that's just asking for...well you get the point.
peejake
Hey people,

I have a 20 Gig apple ipod and i have used 12 gigs of mp3's on it already..I have a lot of old videos that are stored on my computer that take up a lot of space...I thought of backing up these files on my ipod so that i could delete them from my computer and get more storage space...I know how to use my ipod as a hard drive as well (basically just got to copy and paste files as usual...So my question is...If i want to backup these files on to my ipod will this cause any damage to my ipod at all? Because i am going to use my ipod as an mp3 player as well as for storage...So would there be any damage or errors on my ipod?

Thanks

Jake:smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Nah. I do the same thing. That's why I like it so much. Go on ahead.

Mickey said:
Nah. I do the same thing. That's why I like it so much. Go on ahead.

Cool...thanks for the reply..

Jake:cool:

make sure you don't save or change anything inside the iPod_Control folder, then it's all good as far as saving data to the ipod is concerned.

Anttech said:
make sure you don't save or change anything inside the iPod_Control folder, then it's all good as far as saving data to the ipod is concerned.

Ok thanks for that warning...will be careful...:tongue2:

Jake

wish I had an I-pod...

iPod Repair

Just in case one needs to have an iPod repaired.

Repair shops sync up with broken iPods
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2006/09/01/PM200609017.html

Some entrepreneurs have come up with New York's latest cottage industry — iPod repair shops.
SCOTT JAGOW: A brand new 60-gig iPod costs 400 bucks. Multiply that times the 30 million iPods Apple has already sold this year and that's some cash cow. Apple's not the only one making money on these delicate devices. I mean, how many people break these things every day? Adam Allington has more.

ADAM ALLINGTON: What do you do when your $350, U2 Edition iPod breaks one week after the warranty is up? Buy a new one? That's seems to be what Apple would like you to do since the cost of sending an iPod in for repairs is often only marginally cheaper then buying a new one.

Mike Fuerstenberg makes his living off that cost ratio. He runs Portatronics, a small shop on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue where he repairs all things iPod.

Something to keep in mind if your iPod quits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't put the files in the system folders of the iPod, put them in the main drive or in a separate folder that you create.

When you sync from IPOD to computer, the IPOD's battery gets used even it is on USB I think.

That may reduce the life expectancy of your battery and it may die sooner.

manbush said:
When you sync from IPOD to computer, the IPOD's battery gets used even it is on USB I think.

That may reduce the life expectancy of your battery and it may die sooner.

So then the more you update your ipod the shorter the battery, i think not...

Also read this http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Its a pinout of the serial connector, there's usb 5v power in...

A battery has a set number of recharges before it dies. That's why it's best to charge the IPOD when it's completely or near drained out.

When you connect through USB...it charges. Also it isn't viable to use as a HD...more like a USB stick perhaps.

You can use an Ipod as an hdd though.

When you connect an Ipod to a computer it opens iTunes up and then connects to it. A computer won't recognize an ipod that it isn't registerd to becasue of the auto update feature.

Stevedye56 said:
You can use an Ipod as an hdd though.
But you want a backup somewhere, right? I mean, they're not indestructible.

Obviously with all the viruses now, it was in response to an above post.

Stevedye56 said:
Obviously with all the viruses now, it was in response to an above post.
Virii, EMPs, breakage, loss, theft, going through the laundry, whatever.

You don't want to be using an iPod as a primary storage device do you? That would be like to using a jump drive as a primary drive with your only copies of data on it...

DaveC426913 said:
Virii, EMPs, breakage, loss, theft, going through the laundry, whatever.

You don't want to be using an iPod as a primary storage device do you? That would be like to using a jump drive as a primary drive with your only copies of data on it...

Well you could use it, just if you never brought it anywhere, but that would be pretty stupid. I always keep mine in my pocket so i know its there, never in a backpack, that's just asking for theft...

1. How do I back up files on my iPod safely?

To back up files on your iPod safely, you can use iTunes or iCloud. Connect your iPod to your computer and open iTunes. Then, click on the device icon and go to the "Summary" tab. Under the "Backups" section, click on "Back Up Now" to start the backup process. You can also set up automatic backups by selecting the option under the "Automatically Back Up" section. If you prefer to use iCloud, go to Settings on your iPod, tap on your name, and select iCloud. Then, turn on the "iCloud Backup" option and click on "Backup Now" to start the process.

2. Will backing up my iPod erase my data?

No, backing up your iPod will not erase your data. It will simply create a copy of your data and store it in a separate location, either on your computer or in the cloud. Your original data will remain on your iPod.

3. How often should I back up my iPod?

It is recommended to back up your iPod regularly, especially before making any major changes or updates to your device. This will ensure that you have the most recent version of your data in case something happens to your iPod.

4. Can I access my backed up files on my iPod?

No, you cannot access your backed up files directly on your iPod. You will need to restore your iPod from the backup to access the files. However, if you have backed up your files to iCloud, you can access them from any device by logging into your iCloud account.

5. How do I restore my iPod from a backup?

To restore your iPod from a backup, connect it to your computer and open iTunes. Then, click on the device icon and go to the "Summary" tab. Under the "Backups" section, click on "Restore Backup" and select the backup you want to restore from. Keep in mind that this will replace all of your current data with the data from the backup.