Kinematics - Grabbing a Rebound?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the total time a basketball player spends in the top and bottom 13.2 cm of a 73.0 cm vertical jump. The player's jump was analyzed using the formulas dx = Vot + 0.5at^2 and Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2adx, with the assumption that the time spent going up and down is the same. Both methods resulted in a total time of approximately 0.328 seconds in the top 13.2 cm and 0.0732 seconds in the bottom 13.2 cm. The conversation also clarified some misunderstandings and confirmed the correctness of the methods used.
johndoe3344
A basketball player grabbing a rebound jumps 73.0 cm vertically. How much total time (ascent and descent, in ms) (a) does the player spend in the top 13.2 cm of this jump? (b) in the bottom 13.2 cm?

(a)

The formula I use is dx = Vot + 0.5at^2

Vo = 0 (at the top of the jump)
dx = -.132 m
a = -9.8 m/s^2

t = .164

I figure that the time spent going up and the time spent going down should be exactly the same.

So 2t = .328 seconds

(b)

I use the formula Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2adx

Vf = 0 (at the top of the jump)
dx = 0.73 m
a = -9.8 m/s^2

Vo = 3.78 m/s

With Vo, I use the formula dx = Vot + 0.5at^2

dx = .132 m
a = -9.8 m/s^2

And I get t = .0366

So 2t = .0732 seconds

Is everything correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
johndoe3344 said:
A basketball player grabbing a rebound jumps 73.0 cm vertically. How much total time (ascent and descent, in ms) (a) does the player spend in the top 13.2 cm of this jump? (b) in the bottom 13.2 cm?

(a)

dx = -.132 m
a = -9.8 m/s^2

t = .164
Not quite. You are finding the first 13.2 cm going up, so v0 is not 0. Draw a graph of the speed, v, vs. time t. The area under the graph is distance.

[tex]d = v_{avg}t = \frac{1}{2}(v_0 + v_{13.2})t[/tex]

where:
[tex]v_{13.2} = v_0 - gt[/tex]It is just the reverse for the last 13.2 cm. By symmetry you can see that the speed at 0 and 13.2 cm, respectively, going up is the same at these points going down.

So for the last 13.2 cm:

[tex]d = v_{avg}t = \frac{1}{2}(v_{13.2}+ v_0)t[/tex]So the time spent in the first 13.2 cm should be exactly the same as the time spent in the last 13.2 cm.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Not quite. You are finding the first 13.2 cm going up, so v0 is not 0.

I was calculating the time of the upper 13.2 cm going down - since it's the same as the 13.2 cm going up and it's easier because v0 is 0. Does the problem not work that way? Thanks.

johndoe3344 said:
Is everything correct?
I didn't confirm your arithmetic, but your methods are exactly correct.

johndoe3344 said:
I was calculating the time of the upper 13.2 cm going down - since it's the same as the 13.2 cm going up and it's easier because v0 is 0. Does the problem not work that way? Thanks.
I was using v0 is the speed at the beginning of the jump. It is not any easier to use v0 as the speed at the top because you have to still figure out the speeds at the beginning and end of the interval, so you still have to work out speed at 13.2 cm and 0 (height). All you have to know is that the time spent over a particular distance is the distance covered divided by the average speed. Where acceleration is constant, that average is just one half of the sum of the speeds at the beginning and at the end of that interval.

AM

PS. Despite what Doc Al says, your general formula is correct but you are not applying it correctly. The d in your formula is the distance traveled from 0 (ie the point at which v = v0). You could use your formula to determine the time it takes to travel from the top to a point 13.2 cm above the ground. You could also use it to determine the time it takes to travel to the ground and then subtract the time it took to reach 13.2 cm.

Last edited:
johndoe3344 said:
(a)

dx = -.132 m
a = -9.8 m/s^2

t = .164

I figure that the time spent going up and the time spent going down should be exactly the same.

So 2t = .328 seconds
Your method, and answer, seem completely correct. There is nothing at all wrong with starting at the top and figuring out the time it takes to fall 0.132m.

(b)

I use the formula Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2adx

Vf = 0 (at the top of the jump)
dx = 0.73 m
a = -9.8 m/s^2

Vo = 3.78 m/s

With Vo, I use the formula dx = Vot + 0.5at^2

dx = .132 m
a = -9.8 m/s^2

And I get t = .0366

So 2t = .0732 seconds
Again, your method is exactly right. Check the solution of your quadratic equation when solving for t. (I get a different answer.)

Sorry. I misread the question. Your method is quite correct. I was calculating the 13.2 cm as the distance at the bottom going up and coming down, not at the top. My apologies to you and Doc Al.

AM

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves the study of position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. How does kinematics apply to grabbing a rebound?

In basketball, grabbing a rebound involves a player using their body to change the position, velocity, and acceleration of the ball. Kinematics helps us understand the motion of the ball and the player's movement as they grab the rebound.

3. What factors affect the kinematics of grabbing a rebound?

Several factors can affect the kinematics of grabbing a rebound, such as the initial velocity and angle of the ball, the height and reach of the player, and the force applied by the player to grab the ball.

4. How do we calculate the kinematics of grabbing a rebound?

The kinematics of grabbing a rebound can be calculated by using equations from basic kinematics, such as the equations for velocity, acceleration, and distance. These equations can be applied to both the ball and the player to determine their respective kinematics.

5. How can understanding kinematics improve a player's ability to grab rebounds?

By understanding kinematics, a player can better predict the motion of the ball and adjust their movements accordingly. They can also analyze their own kinematics to identify areas of improvement, such as increasing their speed or jumping higher, to better grab rebounds.