Factoring with the quadratic formula

In summary, the conversation is about the use of the quadratic formula to factor a quadratic equation. The person is struggling to understand how to use the formula to factor the equation and is under time pressure. They eventually remember that the quadratic formula gives two roots, which can then be used to find the factors of the equation.
Checkfate
I have a huge headache and I can't understand why this works... I am reviewing the quadratic formula so that I can solve trig questions, but I am stuck on this one part...

The point is to factor [tex]x^2+2x-1[/tex]

I ( and the textbook ) use the quadratic formula to get the roots of it and come up with

[tex]-1\pm\sqrt{2} [/tex]

How do I use this to factor into [tex](x+1-\sqrt{2})(x+1+\sqrt{2})[/tex]?

I remember the quadratic formula as being more useful for solving quadratics where 1 side =0... I don't remember factoring with it! Can someone help? I would try to figure it out on my own but my head is spinning and I am under time pressure at this point. Thanks a lot guys.

I really do appreciate the help that I receive on these boards. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The quadratic formula gives you 2 roots r1 and r2 you then get the factors from

(x - r1) (x - r2) You then need to check your work by multiplying the 2 factors to ensure that you get back your starting quadratic.

Thankyou Integral! You helped me remember :)

What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to find the solutions to a quadratic equation, which is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

How is the quadratic formula derived?

The quadratic formula is derived using the process of completing the square on a general quadratic equation. By completing the square, the equation is transformed into a perfect square trinomial, which can then be easily solved using the formula.

When is the quadratic formula used?

The quadratic formula is used when solving quadratic equations that cannot be easily factored. It is also used when solving for the roots of a quadratic function in order to find the x-intercepts.

What are the parts of the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

Are there any restrictions when using the quadratic formula?

Yes, there are some restrictions when using the quadratic formula. The equation must be in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, and the value of a must not equal 0. Additionally, the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) must be greater than or equal to 0 in order for the equation to have real solutions.