Doppler Effect Help: Solving Car Alarm Q with 21.06 m/s Speed

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the speed of a motorcycle and the frequency of a car alarm. The question involves using the Doppler effect to calculate the speed of the motorcycle. The person asking the question has already attempted to solve it, but the answer is being marked as incorrect. They suspect that the program may be faulty.
ku1005
Hey guys...or ladies...um...just wondering what I hav done wrong for the following Q, it is an online Q i am doing and it tells me my answer is incorrect?

Q) "A car alarm is emitting sound waves of frequency 520 Hz. You are on a motorcycle, traveling directly away from the car."

"How fast must you be traveling if you detect a frequency of 490 Hz?
Enter your speed as a positive number. Take the speed of sound to be 344 m/s.

It seems fairly striaght forward, so I used the doppler effect (ie the wavelength must be greater and hence the frequency less if moving away)

so...

f(effetive) = v/(v+vl) . f

where vl = velocity of listener...

so i have

344/(344 . vl) . 520 = 490

solving for vl gives...21.06 ms^-1 roughly

so therfore, bke must be moving at 21.06ms^-1 ?

BUT it tells me this answer is incorrect??

any ideas appreciated!

cheers

rhys

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing is wrong here. You may have to check if the car is stopdead or it may be moving at a certain speed.

mmm...program must b dodgi...cheers

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. It is commonly observed in sound waves, such as the changing pitch of a siren as it approaches and then passes by a stationary listener.

2. How does the Doppler Effect relate to car alarms?

The Doppler Effect can be used to determine the speed of a moving object, such as a car, based on the change in frequency of the sound waves produced by its alarm. By measuring the difference in frequency between the sound waves emitted by a stationary car alarm and those received by an observer, the car's speed can be calculated.

3. What is the formula for calculating speed using the Doppler Effect?

The formula for calculating speed using the Doppler Effect is: speed = (change in frequency / original frequency) * wave speed. In this case, the original frequency is the frequency of the car alarm and the change in frequency can be determined by comparing it to the frequency received by the observer.

4. How do you solve for the change in frequency in this car alarm scenario?

To solve for the change in frequency, you would need to measure the frequency of the car alarm when it is stationary and then again when it is moving towards the observer. The difference between these two frequencies would be the change in frequency, which can then be used in the Doppler Effect formula to calculate the car's speed.

5. Is the Doppler Effect only applicable to sound waves?

No, the Doppler Effect can also be observed in other types of waves, such as light waves. This is known as the Doppler Shift and is commonly used in astronomy to determine the speed and direction of celestial objects.