What Is a Non-Newtonian Liquid?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquids
In summary, non-Newtonian fluids are materials that do not follow the linear relationship between shear stress and velocity gradient. They can behave like solids or liquids depending on their level of shear stress. Adding something to a fluid to make it more viscous does not necessarily change its behavior from Newtonian to non-Newtonian. There are various types of non-Newtonian fluids, such as Bingham plastics and power law fluids.
TSN79
I've heard of non-Newtonian liquids (and seen them on tv for entertainment value). I also hear that they keep referring to it as a material that changes its viscosity, and so turns from a liquid to a solid. However, I would never look at such a liquid and think of it in that way. What I see is simply a thick liquid that allows you to stride across it without sinking in, cause it's so thick, but the word solid doesn't come to mind. Isn't the viscosity the same all the time, just high enough that if you walk fast you'll make it across? And so can't all fluids become non-Newtonian just by adding something to them to rise the viscosity to the right level?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may need to review the definition of viscosity.

Viscosity is a relationship between the shear stress and velocity gradient in a fluid. If that relation is essentially linear, then the fluid is considered Newtonian. If that relationship is not linear, then it is considered non-Newtonian. Things like paint, toothpaste, peanutbutter, etc...are all good examples of non-Newtonian fluids. My father-in-law is a retired chemical engineer. I have talked to him a lot about what he used to deal with in his plants. He would have loved to have worked with Newtonian fluids.

Other types, such as a Bingham plastic change their behavior depending on the level of shear stress. At one point they behave like a solid, but at higher levels of shear stress, they act like a Newtonian fluid.

Just because you add something to a fluid to make it more viscous does not mean you definitely will change its behavior from Newtonian to non-Newtonian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingham_plastic

To add to what Fred said, a Newtonian fluid is one where the shear stress is propotional to the velocity gradient perpendicular to the shear. ie, [tex] \tau = \mu \frac{du}{dn}[/tex]

A fluid which isn't Newtonian is a non-Newtonian fluid, and they are classifed into various types. As Fred pointed out, a toothpaste is an example of a non-Newtonian fluid, and in particular, a bingham plastic.

You can have various other types of non-Newtonian fluids, where the relation between the shear stress and perpendicular velocity gradient is not linear (for example, a power law fluid), or a time varying viscosity.

1. What is a non-Newtonian liquid?

A non-Newtonian liquid is a type of fluid that does not follow Newton's laws of viscosity, which describe the relationship between shear stress (or force) and shear rate (or velocity gradient) in a fluid.

2. What are the properties of a non-Newtonian liquid?

Non-Newtonian liquids have variable viscosity, meaning their viscosity changes based on the amount of force applied, as well as the rate of shear. They can also exhibit shear thinning (decreasing viscosity under shear) or shear thickening (increasing viscosity under shear) behavior.

3. What are some examples of non-Newtonian liquids?

Some common examples of non-Newtonian liquids include ketchup, honey, toothpaste, and cornstarch/water mixtures. Blood, yogurt, and shampoo are also non-Newtonian fluids.

4. How are non-Newtonian liquids used in everyday life?

Non-Newtonian liquids have a wide range of applications in everyday life, including in food products (such as sauces and dressings), personal care products (like toothpaste and shampoo), and even in medical procedures (such as blood flow and tissue engineering).

5. Can non-Newtonian liquids be classified into different types?

Yes, non-Newtonian liquids can be classified into different types based on their behavior under shear stress. These include shear thinning fluids (like ketchup), shear thickening fluids (like cornstarch/water mixtures), and viscoelastic fluids (like toothpaste).