Retraction/reflection help please

• Thread starter grade11
  • Start date
In summary, the waves from the second source refract into a different medium with an angle of incidence of 35 degrees. The speed of the refracted waves is observed to be 96 m/s.
grade11

Homework Statement

two vibrating sources emit waves in the same elastic medium. the first source has a frequency of 25 hz, while the frequency of the second source is 75hz. waves from the first source have a wavelength of 6.9 m. they reflect from a barrier back into the original medium, with an angle of relfection of 25 degrees. waves from the second source refreact into a different medium with an angle of incidence of 35 degrees. the speed of the refracted waves is observed to be 96 m/s.

ok so i need help with the set up and the digram at this problem. i only learned reflection as an indivudual question and retraction as an individual question.

my attemp was to draw the t lines, have one bouncing off from one and on the other flip side have only one bounc off..can anyone help and explain how to do this? greatly appreciated..im in grade 11 phyics corrospondants during the summer...and i need someone to help...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what retraction is, but where the refraction is concerned, you can use snell's law ([tex]\mu sin\theta =k[/tex]) and look at the different definitions for the coefficient of refraction ([tex]\mu[/tex]) (k is a constant).

There is a definition which takes the speeds of the waves into account (mu1/mu2=c2/c1).

They have given you the wavelength and frequency for this purpose. The relation between them is [tex]\nu =\frac{c}{\lambda}[/tex] where the symbols have their usual meanings.

can you just help me out ... wats my U or my cooeffeciants for my refraction...and what's my mu1/mu2?? please I am doing corispondants so I've never learned physics from a teacher and this lowsy book stinks...

sin25/sin35=0.74 then wat...is it 0.74 m/s which is my speed of my new wave in the second medium?? I am just rlly confused..please help

wat is the speed of the waves from the second source in the original medium?

wat is the is trhe speed of the reflected waves from the first source in the orignal medium?

ok also is the mu1/mu2 is that m=75/96=0.78 and my 0.74 so that's mu1/mu2 so that's 0.74/0.78 which equals 0.948?

Ok. Just hang on a second. First thing you should do is look up "Snell's Law" and "Wave Number".
Secondly, what exactly is the question?

two vibrating sources emit waves in the same elastic medium. the first source has a frequency of 25 hz, while the frequency of the second source is 75hz. waves from the first source have a wavelength of 6.9 m. they reflect from a barrier back into the original medium, with an angle of relfection of 25 degrees. waves from the second source refreact into a different medium with an angle of incidence of 35 degrees. the speed of the refracted waves is observed to be 96 m/s.

wat is the speed of the waves from the second source in the original medium?

wat is the is trhe speed of the reflected waves from the first source in the orignal medium?

Will the angle of the refraction of the waves from the second source be greater than, less than, or equal to 35 degree as they enter the different medium?

wat is the wavelength of the waves from the second source in the orignal medium?

wat is the wavelength of the waves from the second source in the different medium?

ALSO i want to know wat the constant k's units are and wat does this constant tell me?

heres my pic

Attachments

• u3c12_1.gif
    u3c12_1.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 498
dude i am also stuck on this question can you lend a hand?

1. What is a retraction in scientific research?

A retraction in scientific research refers to the withdrawal or removal of a previously published paper or study. This can occur due to several reasons, such as errors, misconduct, or new evidence that invalidates the findings of the study.

2. How does a retraction affect the credibility of a scientist or their research?

A retraction can significantly impact the credibility of a scientist or their research. It signals that there were issues with the study, and the findings may not be accurate or reliable. It can also damage the reputation of the scientist and their future work, as well as the trust of the scientific community and the general public.

3. Are retractions common in scientific research?

Retractions are not very common in scientific research, but they do occur. According to a study published in the journal PLOS ONE, the overall retraction rate in scientific literature is approximately 0.02%. However, the rate may vary across different fields of research and can be influenced by factors such as funding sources and publication pressure.

4. What is the difference between a retraction and a correction in scientific research?

A retraction involves the complete withdrawal of a published paper or study, while a correction refers to making changes or additions to a published paper. A correction may be issued for minor errors or mistakes that do not significantly impact the overall findings of the study, while a retraction is reserved for more serious issues that call into question the validity of the research.

5. Can a retracted study be republished in the future?

In most cases, a retracted study cannot be republished in the same form. However, the researchers may be able to publish a new version of the study with updated data or corrected errors. The decision to publish a retraction or a new version of the study lies with the journal or publisher, and they may have specific guidelines and procedures in place for such cases.