Finding the Right Career Path in Physics

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
In summary: I think it would be a good idea to talk to the scientist at the university you're applying to. He might be able to point you in the right direction.
Niles
Hi guys

Here’s the thing: I graduated from high-school last year, and I knew that I wanted to study computer science or physics – I just didn’t know which one. So I took a year off, and got a job as a programmer at an advertising agency. During that year I found out that even though I have a big interest in computer science, I have a passion for physics; so I have chosen to study physics.

First my interest in physics lied within biophysics and molecular motors. But in time, I began developing a huge interest for nanotechnology/physics – more precisely, carbon-tubes and transistors and all that.
Luckily there’s a scientist at the university I’m going to study at (Copenhagen, DK) who does research in that exact field, so I mailed him asking, how the opportunities are be part of that research when studying. He told me that they are big, and that I should come by and have a talk with him when I began my studies.

Like everybody else, I would like that my hard work pays off – even though it’s not possible to tell the future, I guess you guys are the most qualified at answering, how the market will look. Will this area of physics be ”attractive” in 8-10 years? And are there any particular classes I have to take?

If everything goes wrong, I can always get a job at a bank analyzing the interest or something, eh :-)?

Best regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
One's career is a matter of personal choice. What interests one may be different from interests of others.

I thoroughly enjoy my career as a nuclear engineer. It is challenging and rewarding.

One should choose a career that is both financially and intellectually rewarding, and above all, a career that one enjoys and finds meaningful.

Astronuc said:
One should choose a career that is both financially and intellectually rewarding, and above all, a career that one enjoys and finds meaningful.

I agree with you 100%. I am quite sure that nano-physics is the path for me, but I haven't got a clue about the financial prospects.

It generally doesn't really depend on the topic.
Post-doc, associate professors/lectures get paid the same what ever the field.
In industry physicists are pretty much in demand whatever their field - most don't work directly in their speciality. Nanon-tech or at least the mems part is in demand in industry but whatever branch of physics you do you aren't going to starve, of course you aren't going to make millions unless you start your own company or get lucky at a startup.

Niles said:
Hi guys

Here’s the thing: I graduated from high-school last year, and I knew that I wanted to study computer science or physics – I just didn’t know which one. So I took a year off, and got a job as a programmer at an advertising agency. During that year I found out that even though I have a big interest in computer science, I have a passion for physics; so I have chosen to study physics.

First my interest in physics lied within biophysics and molecular motors. But in time, I began developing a huge interest for nanotechnology/physics – more precisely, carbon-tubes and transistors and all that.
Luckily there’s a scientist at the university I’m going to study at (Copenhagen, DK) who does research in that exact field, so I mailed him asking, how the opportunities are be part of that research when studying. He told me that they are big, and that I should come by and have a talk with him when I began my studies.

Like everybody else, I would like that my hard work pays off – even though it’s not possible to tell the future, I guess you guys are the most qualified at answering, how the market will look. Will this area of physics be ”attractive” in 8-10 years? And are there any particular classes I have to take?

If everything goes wrong, I can always get a job at a bank analyzing the interest or something, eh :-)?

Best regards.

I had a problem similar to yours. The main difference was that my interests were all over the place. Originally I wanted to be a Psychologist, then I wanted to go into Business, and then I decided to go for Electrical Engineering, which is what I'm in school for now (will be a junior in the fall). I asked people, just like you're doing, who already have careers, and the most common response I got was "I have to do what you love".

I was also concerned about the money I will be making, but people told me that if you really love your job, money isn't important. The problem with that, is that I'm not that type of person. Money IS important, simply because that's just reality. You can't live without money.

In your case, I wouldn't be worried about money, though. Nanotechnology will be growing a lot in the next 10 years, that's for sure. I know this because my dad is an Electrical Engineer, so I know my share about jobs in that field and fields similar to it.

One thing you should think about is location. I live in NJ, and High-Tech jobs aren't as abundant as they were in 2000. If you want to go into High-Tech, California is the place to be (that's right, Silicon Valley). There are literally THOUSANDS of High-Tech companies there.

I hope this helped, and good luck!

Nanotechnology is basically a research field at this point. 10 years from now, the state of development of nanotech can't be stated with any assurance, but as in any field of engineering or science you won't have to worry about the financial opportunities.

If you are interested in developing nanocomposites and transistors the best fields for that are chemistry or textile engineering. If you want to get into the applications of nanomaterials mechanical engineering or biomedical engineering would be more suited. If you want to jump on development of nanorobotics then electrical fields of electrical engineering or mechanical engineering would be well suited as control theory has not yet reached the point where nanoscale machines can be made useful, and computer science does not yet allow for nanotechnology to be autonomous.

A major problem with nanotech is the development of manufacturing capabilities. Dealing with tolerances in the billionths is a huge challenge to overcome before nanotech is mainstream, again look to the fields of mechanical engineering or physics.

I'm not familiar with the dutch university system, but if its like American universites you will have around a full year to dedicate to a nanotechnology specialization in undergrad, and several more years in graduate work. Just remember you interest will change throughout college. Best bet is gain a better understanding of the differences in fields and their applications through asking your peers already working in your area of interest so you can alter your academic path to achieve your goal.

1. What types of career paths are available in physics?

There are many career paths available in physics, including research and development, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and scientific writing. Physics also has applications in fields such as medicine, finance, and technology, providing even more options for career paths.

2. What skills and qualifications are necessary for a career in physics?

To pursue a career in physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and science, critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail. Most positions in physics also require at least a bachelor's degree, and higher positions may require a master's or doctoral degree.

3. How can I determine which career path in physics is right for me?

It is important to explore your interests and strengths to determine which career path in physics is the best fit for you. Consider your passion for a specific topic or field, your preferred work environment, and the types of tasks and responsibilities that you enjoy.

4. Are there any specific resources or organizations that can help with finding the right career path in physics?

Yes, there are many resources and organizations that can assist with finding the right career path in physics. Some examples include professional societies like the American Physical Society and the Institute of Physics, career fairs and workshops, and online job boards and networking platforms.

5. How can I ensure career growth and advancement in the field of physics?

To ensure career growth and advancement in physics, it is important to continue learning and developing your skills. This can include attending conferences and workshops, pursuing additional education or certifications, and staying up-to-date on industry advancements and developments. Networking and building relationships with colleagues and mentors can also help with career growth opportunities.