Difficult integration question

• Thread starter regularngon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the Riemann integrability of a function f on the interval [0,1] × [0,1] and compute its integral. The first condition of the function is that if x is irrational or x is rational and y is irrational, then f(x,y) = 0. The second condition is that if x is rational and y = p/q with gcd(p,q) = 1, then f(x,y) = 1/q. To prove integrability, the fact that for every E > 0 there exists a partition P such that U(f,P) - L(f,P) < E is used. The conversation also discusses using the density of rationals in the
regularngon

Homework Statement

Show that the function f : [0,1] × [0,1] → R given by

f(x,y) =

{ 0 if x is irrational, or x is rational and y is irrational
{ 1/q if x is rational, y = p/q with gcd(p,q) = 1

Is integrable and compute the integral.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to use the fact that Riemann integrability is equivalent to the fact that for every E > 0 there exists a partition P such that U(f,P) - L(f,P) < E.

Due to the density of the rationals in the reals, we are always going to have L(f,P) = 0. So I just have to find a partition P such that U(f,P) < E. So I'm quite sure that I'm going to have to use the infinite sum of 1/2^n. However, I'm quite stuck on figuring out a valid partition. The more I think, the harder finding this partition seems to be :(

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one has any suggestions? :cry:

The first condition of this question is similar to that of Drichilet function. Break the condition further from this.

1. What is the process for solving difficult integration questions?

The process for solving difficult integration questions involves breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using algebraic manipulation and integration techniques, and then putting the pieces back together to find the final solution.

2. What are some common integration techniques used for difficult questions?

Some common integration techniques used for difficult questions include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Other techniques such as partial fractions may also be used depending on the specific problem.

3. How can I determine which integration technique to use for a difficult question?

To determine which integration technique to use, it is important to first identify any patterns or familiar forms in the integrand. For example, if the integrand contains a polynomial, substitution may be a good choice. If the integrand contains a product of two functions, integration by parts may be more effective.

4. Are there any tips for simplifying difficult integrals?

One tip for simplifying difficult integrals is to use algebraic manipulation to factor out common terms or simplify expressions before integrating. This can make the integration process easier and may lead to a more manageable integral.

5. How can I check if my solution to a difficult integration question is correct?

A good way to check if your solution is correct is to take the derivative of your answer and see if it matches the original integrand. If the two are equal, then your solution is likely correct. You can also use online integration calculators or ask a friend or teacher to verify your answer.