Unlock the Secrets of Sleep Cycles - Why We Run on 26-Hour Days

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the article discusses the effects of air pollution on the planet, and suggests ways to reduce pollution. It also discusses the possibility of the Earth dying in 300 years, and suggests ways to prevent this.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since some of this is completely new to me so I have some reservations about this report. Perhaps some of our experts like Andre, Nereid, or Bystander can help to shed some light on this story? [not to leave anyone out but they come to mind :smile: ]

5 reasons why the planet is going to hell.

Exploratory all-terrain vehicles are capering around Mars, yet our own planet remains bafflingly alien. We're Mother Earth's children and we think we know her well, but whenever some unexpected phenomenon rouses our curiosity, we uncover disturbing aspects of her secret life. Lately, the rush of peculiar discoveries has been downright embarrassing. Let's consider some of Mom's eccentricities - and their implications. [continued]

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.04/view.html?pg=4?tw=wn_tophead_5

Also, a question about sleep cycles: I find that if I allow myself to follow a natural cycle [I work at home a lot and at times I have a great deal of flexibility in my schedule] I tend to run about a 26 hour day. I asked a medical doctor about this once and he said that most people will do this. Does anyone know what governs this cycle? At first I assumed that this related to the changing length of the day - that we evolved with an average 26 hour day or so - but obviously this appears to be going in the wrong direction.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
From the link: "global dimming, 10%;" "shorter days rather than longer in recent years;" "impactors;" "supernovae;" and "insurance payouts."

Dimming? 10%? The crackpot detector is buzzing like an angry rattlesnake.

Shorter days? Showed up some years back with all the artificial reservoirs at high latitudes reducing the moment of inertia enough that it actually showed up in The Clock. No big deal.

Impactors? Instability in the dynamics of any system comprised of three or more bodies has been known/understood(? sorta)/recognized since Poincare picked up ol' whosisface's prize for resolving the question of unique solutions for dynamics of three (or more) body systems --- end of 19th century. No big deal --- unless, of course, we get an up close and personal demonstration of such events.

Supernovae? Nereid's going to have to handle this one --- last I heard, the "neighborhood" ain't great, few stars rented to college kids, and one or two black/brown dwarves being used for crack houses and meth labs down the street, but it also ain't that run down that we're fugitives from the SN incidence rate law of averages.

Insurance payouts? Bankrupting insurance companies? Hah! Fat chance --- this is nothing more than some more Enron style bookkeeping.

My inclination would be to file this under "questionable conclusions and questionable sources."

Somebody called?

Dimming? crackpot detectors? Don't shoot the http://fm-eth.ethz.ch/eth/peoplefinder/FMPro?-db=whoiswho.fp5&-format=who%5fdetail%5fen.html&-lay=html&-sortfield=who%5fname&who%5fstatus=0&-op=cn&who%5fname%5ffirstname=ohmura&-max=20&-recid=34725&-find= that you don't (want to) believe or won't believe.

However the mechanism is pretty simple, if the air contains more soot, haze and aerosols, it intercepts some sunlight making it a wee bit more dim. But there is more. The intercepted light is transferred to heat and this may be accounting for the slight (global) warming up in the last century of some 0,6 degrees C.

And if this is also the (main) cause of that warming then CO2 is not the (main) cause. So the message is: forget greenhouse gas emission and focus on reducing air pollution.

However the overal impression of the article is that it should bear the signature of Chicken Little. But it pays well I guess, spelling disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, it might be dangeorus to turn energy into visible light!

That's it!

We should use those glases instead! It would actually increase the lifelength of the Earth with i don't know how much!

Cause almost all energy we use we release, that's the problem with todays society. Might this be right? Partly?

Then we should or should not use oil to compensate?

Oil is the only energy that is not in use, sun beams creates winds and heats the water etc, uranium aswell. Haha! The environmentialists got on their noses! Or no?

Last edited:
So, in 300 years, the Earth is dead?

Prove that in 266.6 years, all flowers have not died.

1. What is a 26-hour day and how does it affect our sleep cycles?

A 26-hour day refers to a natural pattern of circadian rhythm that some individuals experience. This means that their body clock is slightly longer than 24 hours, causing them to naturally feel sleepy and wake up later each day. It can affect our sleep cycles by causing us to have difficulties falling asleep at the desired time and potentially leading to sleep deprivation.

2. What are the different stages of sleep and how do they impact our overall health?

The different stages of sleep include light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep. Light sleep is when we are in a state of relaxation but still somewhat aware of our surroundings. Deep sleep is when our body experiences physical restoration and repair. REM sleep is when we have vivid dreams and our brain is active. Each stage plays a crucial role in our overall health, as they help with memory consolidation, hormone regulation, and boosting our immune system.

3. Can our sleep cycles change over time?

Yes, our sleep cycles can change over time due to various factors such as aging, lifestyle changes, and medical conditions. As we age, our circadian rhythm tends to shift, causing us to feel sleepy and wake up earlier. Changes in our daily routines or exposure to artificial light can also impact our sleep cycles. Certain medical conditions, such as sleep disorders, can also disrupt our sleep cycles.

4. How can we optimize our sleep cycles for better health?

To optimize our sleep cycles, it is important to establish a regular sleep schedule and stick to it, even on weekends. Avoiding caffeine and heavy meals close to bedtime can also help with falling asleep faster. Creating a comfortable sleep environment, such as keeping the room dark and cool, can also improve the quality of our sleep. Additionally, practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, can help with managing stress and promoting better sleep.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with having a 26-hour day?

Having a 26-hour day can lead to difficulties in maintaining a regular sleep-wake schedule, which can result in sleep deprivation and fatigue. This can also impact our daily functioning and productivity. In some cases, individuals with a longer circadian rhythm may be diagnosed with a sleep disorder called delayed sleep phase syndrome, which can significantly disrupt their daily lives. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional if you are experiencing persistent sleep issues.