Electric and Magnetic field relationship

In summary, the problem is asking to prove the relationship between B and k, v, and E, with a focus on finding the fundamental units of k and the dot and cross products of B and E. The first part of the problem is to show that B is equal to k times the cross product of v and E.
Tareth

Homework Statement

Show that B = (k)v(cross)E

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. I have the F = qE and F = q(v(cross)B)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a starting point would be much help.

Tareth said:
Just a starting point would be much help.

did you post the question exactly?

Is the question asking to prove that in general:

[tex]B = k\vec{v}\times\vec{E}[/tex]

I don't recognize this relationship... is this for a specific situation?

That is the first part of the problem.

Show that [tex]\vec{B} = k\vec{v}\times\vec{E}[/tex]

Find the fundamental units of k, which I believe I have correct as [tex]m^2/s^2[/tex]

Find [tex]\vec{B}[/tex](dot)[tex]\vec{E}[/tex]

Find [tex]\vec{E}\times\vec{B}[/tex]

I believe with the 1st part I can figure the rest out. I just don't know where to start to prove the first part.

Tareth said:
That is the first part of the problem.

Show that [tex]\vec{B} = k\vec{v}\times\vec{E}[/tex]

In general? Or for a specific situation?

In general.

What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

The relationship between electric and magnetic fields is known as electromagnetism. This means that an electric field can create a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric field. This is described by Maxwell's equations.

How are electric and magnetic fields created?

Electric fields are created by charges, such as electrons or protons. Magnetic fields are created by moving charges, such as an electric current. These fields are also created by changing electric and magnetic fields, as described by Maxwell's equations.

Can electric and magnetic fields exist without each other?

No, electric and magnetic fields are always interconnected. A changing electric field will always produce a magnetic field, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the electromagnetism and is fundamental to understanding many phenomena in physics.

What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

The main difference between electric and magnetic fields is their orientation. Electric fields are created by charges and point away from positive charges and towards negative charges. Magnetic fields, on the other hand, are created by moving charges and are always perpendicular to the direction of motion.

How are electric and magnetic fields measured?

Electric and magnetic fields can be measured using specialized instruments such as voltmeters and magnetometers. These instruments can measure the strength and direction of the fields at a specific point. The units for electric fields are volts per meter (V/m) and for magnetic fields are teslas (T).