Evaluation of Strike and the 3 point problem

• Thread starter succubus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with understanding the 3-point problem and Cramers Rule. They are specifically confused about the use of slope when finding the equation for a plane in the horizontal xy plane. They mention a paper written by their teacher for further explanation. However, after some time, they are able to figure it out on their own.
succubus
Evaluation of Strike and the 3 point problem...

If anyone in ehre is familiar with the 3-point problem and Cramers Rule, I need some help.

In the evaluation of strike, you are supposed to take the equation for the plane in the horizontal xy plane. But when you arctan the slope, you are supposed to use the slope with x plotted as a functin of y. I don't quite understand this concept. If you need a better explanation you can read about it in this paper written by my teacher.

http://www.nagt.org/files/nagt/jge/c...-v48n4p522.pdf

Its equation 26.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Pati

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Nevermind, after thinking about it for about 10 minutes I got it :( ROFL 1 year later MUHAHAHAHAHA :eek:

I am familiar with the 3-point problem and Cramer's Rule. In this particular case, it seems that the confusion lies in the interpretation of the slope in relation to the xy plane. The slope is usually defined as the change in y over the change in x, but in this problem, it is being used as a function of x. This means that the slope is being calculated for each individual value of x, rather than a constant value for the entire plane. This approach is necessary in order to accurately determine the strike of the plane.

The paper provided by your teacher (equation 26) shows the formula for calculating the strike based on this concept. It involves taking the inverse tangent of the slope as a function of x, rather than just the slope itself. This allows for a more precise calculation of the strike, taking into account the varying slope values across the plane.

In summary, the use of the slope as a function of x in the calculation of strike is necessary in order to accurately determine the orientation of the plane in the horizontal xy plane. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept for you. If you need further assistance, I recommend consulting with your teacher or a colleague who is familiar with this approach.

What is the purpose of evaluating strike and the 3 point problem?

The purpose of evaluating strike and the 3 point problem is to determine the location and orientation of geological structures such as faults, folds, and fractures. This information is crucial in understanding the subsurface geology and can aid in resource exploration and development.

What is the process of evaluating strike and the 3 point problem?

The process of evaluating strike and the 3 point problem involves using field measurements and mathematical calculations to determine the strike and dip of geological structures. This typically includes taking measurements at three points and using geometric principles to calculate the strike and dip.

What are the main challenges in evaluating strike and the 3 point problem?

The main challenges in evaluating strike and the 3 point problem include obtaining accurate and precise field measurements, dealing with complex geological structures, and accounting for possible errors in the calculations. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by the scale of the mapping, as well as the type of measurement tools used.

What are the applications of evaluating strike and the 3 point problem?

The applications of evaluating strike and the 3 point problem are numerous and varied. They can include resource exploration and development, geological mapping, structural analysis, and even hazard assessment for potential natural disasters like earthquakes or landslides.

How does evaluating strike and the 3 point problem contribute to the field of geology?

Evaluating strike and the 3 point problem is an essential tool in the field of geology. It allows for a better understanding of the subsurface geology and can aid in making important decisions related to resource development and management. It also helps in creating accurate geological maps, which are crucial in various geological and engineering applications.