How would you prepare a 500 ml lab stock of:

In summary, to prepare a 500 ml lab stock of a certain chemical, you will need to accurately measure out 500 ml of the chemical and transfer it into a volumetric flask, then fill it with a suitable solvent and mix well. Preparing a 500 ml lab stock is important for ensuring there is enough chemical for multiple experiments, obtaining accurate and consistent results, and saving time and effort. The solvent used should be suitable and compatible with the chemical and experiment. To store the stock, it should be labeled and stored in a cool, dry, and dark place. A 500 ml lab stock can be used for multiple experiments, as long as it is properly stored and the concentration is accurate.
jKotha

Homework Statement

How would you prepare a 500 ml lab stock of 20% (w/v) SDS

That is all that is stated in the problem.

Homework Equations

I'm assuming for w/v the volume would be 0.5L but the weight I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5L x .20 = .1g SDS / .5 L .. is that correct? doesn't make sense to me.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does 20% SDS (w/v) mean? Once you know that, the answer will present itself...

To prepare a 500 ml lab stock of 20% (w/v) SDS, you will need to use the following formula:

Mass of SDS (in grams) = Volume of solution (in liters) x Concentration of SDS (in % w/v)

In this case, the volume of solution is 0.5 L and the concentration is 20% (or 0.20 in decimal form). Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

Mass of SDS = 0.5 L x 0.20 = 0.1 g

Therefore, to prepare a 500 ml lab stock of 20% (w/v) SDS, you will need to dissolve 0.1 g of SDS in 500 ml of water. Make sure to accurately measure the mass of SDS using a balance, and dissolve it in the water using proper laboratory techniques. This will result in a final solution with a concentration of 20% (w/v) SDS.

1. How would you prepare a 500 ml lab stock of a certain chemical?

To prepare a 500 ml lab stock of a chemical, you will need to accurately measure out 500 ml of the chemical using a graduated cylinder or pipette. Then, transfer the measured amount of chemical into a clean and dry 500 ml volumetric flask. Finally, fill the flask with a suitable solvent to the 500 ml mark and mix well to ensure the chemical is fully dissolved.

2. What is the importance of preparing a 500 ml lab stock?

Preparing a 500 ml lab stock is important for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures that there is enough of the chemical for multiple experiments. It also allows for more accurate and consistent results in experiments, as the same stock can be used for each trial. Additionally, having a stock solution saves time and effort in preparing the chemical for each experiment.

3. Can I prepare a 500 ml lab stock using any solvent?

No, it is important to choose a suitable solvent for the chemical being prepared. The solvent should be able to fully dissolve the chemical and not react with it. Additionally, the solvent should be compatible with the experiment being conducted.

4. How do I store a 500 ml lab stock?

To store a 500 ml lab stock, it is important to label the flask with the name of the chemical, concentration, and date it was prepared. The stock should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place to prevent any degradation or evaporation. It is also recommended to store the stock in a secure location to prevent any accidents.

5. Can I use a 500 ml lab stock for multiple experiments?

Yes, a 500 ml lab stock can be used for multiple experiments as long as it is stored properly and the concentration is accurate. It is important to consider the volume of stock needed for each experiment and to properly dilute the stock if necessary. Also, make sure to use the stock within a reasonable amount of time to avoid any degradation or changes in concentration.