Convergent and Divergent problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence and divergence of c_n in relation to a_n and b_n. It is unclear if c_n is divergent when a_n is convergent and b_n is divergent, or if both a_n and b_n are divergent. There is no known rule or theorem that can determine the convergence of c_n in these scenarios, and a proposed epsilon-delta proof does not provide a conclusive answer. Several examples are given to illustrate different possibilities for a_n and b_n, but no clear conclusion can be drawn.
danni7070
If I have [tex] (a_n + b_n)^n = c_n [/tex] where a_n is convergent and b_n divergent. Is c_n then divergent?

And what if a_n and b_n were divergent, would c_n be divergent also?

but what if they were both convergent then surely c_n is convergent right?

I can't see a rule or a theorem that tells me this is correct and frankly it is getting on my nerve.

Somebody here who knows? :smile:

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hve u tried an epsylon- delta proof? I think it might work.

No conclusion is possible for the convergence of [itex]c_n[/itex].

[tex]a_n=b_n=0[/tex]
[tex]a_n=b_n=1[/tex]
[tex]a_n=0, b_n=(-1)^n \times \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
[tex]a_n=1, b_n=(-1)^n[/tex]
[tex]a_n=b_n=(-1)^n [/tex]
[tex]a_n=b_n=(-1)^n \times \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

What is the difference between convergent and divergent problems?

Convergent problems have a specific solution or answer, while divergent problems have multiple potential solutions or answers. Convergent problems have a clear goal, while divergent problems may have multiple goals.

How do you approach a convergent problem?

Convergent problems are best approached by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for a systematic approach to finding a solution.

What is brainstorming and how does it relate to divergent problems?

Brainstorming is a technique used to generate multiple ideas or solutions to a problem. This is often used for divergent problems as it allows for a wide range of ideas to be explored and potentially leads to unique solutions.

Can a problem be both convergent and divergent?

Yes, a problem can have aspects of both convergent and divergent thinking. For example, a problem may have a specific solution but also require creative thinking to find the best solution.

How does understanding convergent and divergent thinking benefit problem-solving?

Understanding convergent and divergent thinking allows for a more strategic approach to problem-solving. By recognizing the characteristics of each type of problem, one can choose the most effective method to find a solution.