Feynman's Statistical Mechanics Book

In summary, it seems that there may be some difficulties in understanding certain sections of Feynman's book on statistical mechanics, and it may be beneficial to seek out additional resources for clarification.
bubbloy
hello, I'm trying to learn statistical mechanics with feynman's book
he seems to have a lot of times where he thinks something is very clear and then it will take me a few pages of working things out to get what he has jumped to.
i'm having one of those moments on page 15.
i was wondering if anyone has gotten through this one, it is where he substitutes
[tex]Q_{\alpha}=\sum_{i}a_{i}^{\alpha}\sqrt{M_{i}}q_{i}'[/tex]
and gets the new hamiltonian at the top of the next page, i am really at a loss how this turns the momentum operator into having the [tex]Q_[\alpha}[/tex] in the differential denominator.

more useful i guess, has anyone found an errata or explanation site for this book? i know when i read his path integrals book there was something like 1000 errors throughout the 400 or so pages and an oberlin professor kept a log of them all. he also had downloadable packets that explained the opaque sections in greater clarity.

thanks a lot,

josh S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.Unfortunately, I don't know of any errata or explanation sites for this book specifically. However, I would suggest doing a quick online search to see if there are any other resources available. Additionally, there are many textbooks and online lectures that provide a more comprehensive introduction to statistical mechanics. These might be helpful in providing additional explanation and clarification to the material covered in Feynman's book.

I can understand your frustration with Feynman's book on statistical mechanics. It is true that sometimes his explanations can be unclear and require additional work to fully understand. However, I would encourage you to continue working through the book and seeking out additional resources, such as online forums or explanation sites, to help clarify any confusing sections.

Regarding your specific question about the substitution of Q_[\alpha} and its effect on the momentum operator, I would suggest going back to the fundamental principles of statistical mechanics and carefully following the mathematical steps that Feynman presents. It may also be helpful to look at other resources, such as textbooks or lecture notes, to gain a different perspective on the concept.

In terms of errata or explanation sites for the book, I am not aware of any specific ones for Feynman's statistical mechanics book. However, there are many online forums and discussion groups where you can ask questions and receive help from other individuals who have also studied the book. Additionally, you can reach out to professors or colleagues who are knowledgeable in the field for further clarification.

Remember, learning is a process and it is completely normal to encounter challenges and moments of confusion. Keep persevering and seeking out resources, and I am confident that you will gain a deeper understanding of statistical mechanics through Feynman's book. Best of luck in your studies!

What is "Feynman's Statistical Mechanics Book" about?

"Feynman's Statistical Mechanics Book" is a textbook written by renowned physicist Richard Feynman. It provides an in-depth exploration of statistical mechanics, a branch of physics that studies the behavior of large systems of particles.

Who is the intended audience for "Feynman's Statistical Mechanics Book"?

The book is primarily intended for undergraduate and graduate students studying physics, but it can also be useful for researchers and professionals in the field.

What makes "Feynman's Statistical Mechanics Book" unique compared to other books on the subject?

Feynman's book is known for its clear and engaging writing style, making complex concepts easier to understand. It also includes his own insights and perspectives, making it a valuable resource for learning statistical mechanics.

Are there any prerequisites for reading "Feynman's Statistical Mechanics Book"?

Basic knowledge of calculus, classical mechanics, and thermodynamics is recommended before diving into this book. Familiarity with quantum mechanics and quantum statistical mechanics may also be helpful.

What can I expect to learn from "Feynman's Statistical Mechanics Book"?

This book covers a wide range of topics in statistical mechanics, including thermodynamics, phase transitions, and the behavior of gases and solids. It also introduces important concepts such as entropy, partition functions, and the Boltzmann distribution, providing a strong foundation for further study in this field.