Can Holding a Teacup Make Tea Cool Faster?

• Thread starter Harut82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary, holding a cup of tea with both hands helps to cool it faster than if you just held the cup without the hands.

Which cup will cool faster

• Total voters
Harut82
We were having tea with the family and my brother and I started wondering if holding the cup will help in cooling the tea.

Lets say you have two identical cups filled with the same amount of the same temperature tea.

You let one just sit and the other you grab with both hands . . . which tea will cool quicker?

When you hold a hot teacup you feel heat transfering to your hand. I argued that holding the cup with both hands will help it cool faster.

Temperature of hand > temperature of surrounding air near cup

therefore tea cools faster

am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the temperature of the air and of your hand.

One way to know for sure. Find a thermometer and do the experiment.

Alex48674 said:
Depends on the temperature of the air and of your hand.

Air is room temperature. Let's say 72 degrees.
Body temperature 98.6 degrees.

I'd suspect that the constant in the differential equation, caused by your hands, would lower the temperature faster. If you look at the differential equation,
[tex]T'=k(T_e-T)[/tex]
it would seem that a mere doubling in the constant (which is not unreasonable in going from air to your hands) would have a much more profound affect on the time derivative of temperature than the lower temperature of the air, assuming [itex]T_o>130[/itex]. Just a thought, test it to see for sure.

Would I be right in saying a solid like your hand would be much more capable of transporting heat than air due to its higher density. Is this why you would increase the constant in the differential?

Of course the cup wouldn't attain the same equilibrium temperature as your hadns are warmer than the air. Also the transfer of heat to air from your hands would have to be taken into account and its conduction through your arms. I suspect if you have a very big cup of tea that you are not able to grasp properly then it wouldn't make much difference :)

But for a normal cup I would say it would cool faster with both hands.

Alex

twinsen said:
Would I be right in saying a solid like your hand would be much more capable of transporting heat than air due to its higher density. Is this why you would increase the constant in the differential?
Yea, that was my reasoning and it holds for any cup. Substituting a small portion of a huge cup with your hands would still help lower the temperature more quickly. We can be more quantitative, T1 is the temp of the cup without the hands, T2 is with the hands. The solution the the differential equations are:
[tex]T_1=T_c+(T_o-T_c)e^{-k_ct}[/tex]
where:
-[itex]T_c[/itex] is the temp of the cup
-[itex]T_o[/itex] is the initial temp of the tea
-[itex]k_c[/itex] is the constant between the cup and the tea.
and
[tex]T_2=T_h+(T_o-T_h)e^{-k_ht}[/tex]
where everything is the same as above but the h subscript means hands.

We need to take into account the value of the temperature that you find fitting for the tea, which we call [itex]T_r[/itex]. Set both equations equal to that and solve for t. The results are:
[tex]t_c=\frac{1}{k_c}\log\frac{T_o-T_c}{T_r-T_c}[/tex]
[tex]t_h=\frac{1}{k_h}\log\frac{T_o-T_h}{T_r-T_h}[/tex].
If we substitute some reasonable values in (i use fahrenheit), [itex]T_r=110, T_o=210, T_h=98.6, T_c=72[/itex], and [itex]k_c=1,k_h=2[/itex] (it's not unreasonable for the hand constant to be twice the cup constant, btw 1 and 2 are WAY too high for the constants, but the ratio 1/2 is all that matters) we find,
[tex]t_c\approx1.29[/tex]
and
[tex]t_h\approx1.14[/tex].
So the hands cool it faster in this case.

Trick is, final temperature with cup hold in hands is higher, so in fact final answer depends on the way you define the speed - at higher temps it will be faster but at lower temps it will be slower.

And let's not forget that your hands are not just solid, you also have an internal heating/cooling system so the answer of your body (heat transfer speed) is non-linear.

1. How does holding a teacup make tea cool faster?

When you hold a teacup, the heat from your hand is transferred to the cup and then to the tea. This increases the surface area of the tea that is exposed to the cooler air, allowing it to cool faster.

2. Does the material of the teacup affect how fast the tea cools?

Yes, the material of the teacup can affect how fast the tea cools. Materials that are good conductors of heat, such as metal or glass, will transfer heat from your hand to the tea more quickly than materials that are poor conductors, like ceramic or plastic.

3. Is there a specific way to hold the teacup to cool the tea faster?

There is no specific way to hold the teacup to cool the tea faster. However, holding the cup with your fingers wrapped around the handle, instead of cupping the bowl of the cup with your whole hand, can leave more surface area of the cup exposed to the air and potentially cool the tea faster.

4. Does the temperature of the room affect how fast the tea cools?

Yes, the temperature of the room can affect how fast the tea cools. In a warmer room, the tea may cool more slowly due to less of a temperature difference between the tea and the surrounding air. In a cooler room, the tea may cool more quickly.

5. Can adding ice cubes to the tea make it cool faster than holding the teacup?

Yes, adding ice cubes to the tea will cool it faster than just holding the teacup. This is because the ice cubes have a lower temperature than your hand and will transfer their coldness to the tea more quickly. However, be cautious as adding too much ice could dilute the tea's flavor.