Can a Cross Product Determine a Gradient Vector for a Non-Function Surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a parametric equation r(u,v) and its cross product, r_u and r_v, and the gradient vector. The conversation also covers the confusion between scalar and vector functions and surfaces, and whether the cross product and gradient vectors are parallel or equal. Ultimately, the confusion arises from the use of two different representations of the surface.
fk378
This is a general question. If we have a parametric equation r(u,v) and we take r_u and r_v, then take their cross product, does it give us the gradient vector? Or just a vector parallel to the gradient vector?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If r(u,v) has a gradient vector, then it's a scalar function. If r_x and r_y are vectors then r is a vector function. Which is it? I don't get you.

I just edited my original post; I meant r_u X r_v would give a vector orthogonal to the tangent plane. And since the gradient is also (r_u, r_v), is this vector the same vector?

fk378 said:
I just edited my original post; I meant r_u X r_v would give a vector orthogonal to the tangent plane. And since the gradient is also (r_u, r_v), is this vector the same vector?
You mean to say the gradient of the surface described by a scalar function. Well there are two possible vectors for r_u X r_v, you might end up getting the inward pointing normal vector instead.

If r is a scalar function, r_u and r_v are scalars. There is no cross product. If r(u,v) is a vector function then r_u x r_v is a normal to the surface defined by r(u,v), but then there is no gradient. Someone is confused here, and I don't think it's me.

You are using the terminology incorrectly. A function has a gradient, not a surface.

If a surface is given by f(x,y,z)= constant, the grad f is perpendicular to the surface.
If that surface is written as a position vector [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)[/itex], then [itex]\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v[/itex] is also perpendicular to the surface. Your question is whether those two vector must also have the same length.

The answer is "no" because the gradient of f is a specific vector while different parameterizations of the surface f(x,y,z)= constant will give vectors of different length.

Dick said:
If r is a scalar function, r_u and r_v are scalars. There is no cross product. If r(u,v) is a vector function then r_u x r_v is a normal to the surface defined by r(u,v), but then there is no gradient. Someone is confused here, and I don't think it's me.

Why would a surface not have a gradient?

And yes I am confused, which is why I'm asking questions, but I appreciate your input.

fk378 said:

And yes I am confused, which is why I'm asking questions, but I appreciate your input.

The big confusion here is that you have two different representations of the surface, as a position vector [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)[/itex] and as a level surface by R(x,y,z)=C. Those two r's are completely different objects. You are confusing me (at least) by labeling them the same and using them interchangeably. As Halls said, if r and R do happen to represent the same surface, then, yes, the cross product and the gradient are parallel, not necessarily equal.

fk378 said:
Because a surface isn't a function. Think of it this way: The unit 2-sphere is the locus of points in R3 that satisfy [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2-1=0[/itex]. Note well: [itex]2x^2+2y^2+2z^2-2=0[/itex] also describes the unit 2-sphere. The gradients of the functions [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2-1[/itex] and [itex]2x^2+2y^2+2z^2-2[/itex] are obviously different.

1. What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is represented by a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function at that point.

2. How is a gradient calculated?

A gradient is calculated by taking the partial derivative of a multi-variable function with respect to each variable and combining them into a vector. The resulting vector represents the direction and magnitude of the gradient at a specific point.

3. What is the purpose of a gradient?

The purpose of a gradient is to help us understand the behavior of a function and identify the direction of the steepest change at a specific point. It is also used in optimization algorithms to find the minimum or maximum value of a function.

4. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and outputs a vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors. It is represented by the symbol "x" and is used to calculate the area of a parallelogram and the direction of a torque in physics.

5. How is a cross product calculated?

A cross product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix containing the components of the two input vectors. The resulting vector is perpendicular to both input vectors and its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the input vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.